Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Three Strikes and I'm Out. Why no Carb?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Klainmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Three Strikes and I'm Out. Why no Carb?

I find this very strange. I've done 6 batches now, and the first three i only let sit in the primary for a week and just bottled (hefeweizens and simple ales) so it wasn't that big of a deal. Only after a week they would be carbonated. Well, with the last three batches (Boot Black Porter, Blonde Ale, and Hard Cider) i've transferred to the secondary for another week after the primary to get it off the yeast, and when time came to bottle i also left the yeast trub behind. I prime with 3/4 cup of corn sugar mixed with water, and let the bottles condition in a 74 degree room. THE BEERS ARE FLAT AFTER TWO WEEKS IN THE BOTTLES. Argh, any ideas on what the deuce went wrong? And i cant beleive i have to ask this, but is it possible to poor all the beers out and somehow re-prime/re-bottle? Thanks guys, this is becoming ultra frustrating.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
Fatabbot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, my first batch I bottled straight from the primary and it carbed in a week. Since then I've been using a secondary and it has taken 3 weeks to get optimal carbonation.

My advice is to be patient. It should work out fine. The yeast will need just a little more time to get the work done after settling in the secondary.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Since I haven't seen your recipes or notes, the types of beers you brewed are heavier than your first 3 batches and require a much longer time to get carbonated.

Wait another 2-3 weeks. Possibly longer if you've primed with DME.

Be patient. If you can't then switch to lower gravity brews.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

What they said.

Your first batches could have been bottled too early (before fermentation had completed), and because they were not transferred to a secondary they would certainly have had more yeast.
It is not unusual for carbonation to take three or four weeks, and the flavor continues to improve for several weeks after that.

-a.

Quick Reply