Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > For those of you with converted fridge kegerators...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

image-652975081.jpg   image-1600776010.jpg   image-1845956382.jpg  

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313 View Post
Is it worth it? I currently have a 2 tap converted chest freezer but am probably buying a house and will end up with an old refrigerator I'm going to replace. I'm considering turning it into a kegerator. I like the idea of being able to just open the door and futz around inside (less lifting that with the chest freezers) and the fact that all the lines will be chilled minus an inch or so. Also, I thought I could use the freezer part for my hops. It seems like most people prefer the chest freezers. Anyone have opinions? Feel free to post pics of your own fridge conversions.
I prefer a fridge. Cheaper kegs (pin locks fit better), usable freezer, less floor space, built in defrost, uniform cooling, less lifting, easier access, way cheaper than a keezer, built in light :P

Mine fits 6, currently have 5 taps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhm99gy9tl...2010.29.48.jpg

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #13
grathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I use both, the fridge is in the garage and the top freezer holds hops. It uses $7/month electric.

The garage freezes in the winter and I don't brew so the ferm chamber chest freezer gets used to hold kegs inside. $2/month electric? I haven't checked this running as a fridge yet.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDogBrewing View Post
More pics..

Where ever did you get the lights? Those are killer! Ohh and 7 beers on tap! Where is my invite? I'll bring BBQ!

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I went with a frig mainly because we redid our kitchen and got new appliances, so I had the old one available. I have a chest freezer that I use as a fermentation chamber. I currently have two taps on the kegerator and it will fit three kegs, my 5# co2 tank and dual regulator. I could fit another keg in the frig but didn't want to drill a hole in it and keep the co2 tank outside. This setup works well for me because I can have two beers on tap and one keg conditioning so its always ready to go. The other nice aspect of the frig is I can store bottles in the door convienently and hops and food in the freezer section.

I think the main question to answer when choosing between a frig and keezer is how many beers do you want on tap at the same time? Then the other question might be where are you planning on putting it? If you have a basement then the frig setup is cool... But if this is going in a living area the keezer might be better since you can usually make it look nicer then a standard kegerator.

image.jpg  

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Old 05-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman6234 View Post
I went with a frig mainly because we redid our kitchen and got new appliances, so I had the old one available. I have a chest freezer that I use as a fermentation chamber. I currently have two taps on the kegerator and it will fit three kegs, my 5# co2 tank and dual regulator. I could fit another keg in the frig but didn't want to drill a hole in it and keep the co2 tank outside. This setup works well for me because I can have two beers on tap and one keg conditioning so its always ready to go. The other nice aspect of the frig is I can store bottles in the door convienently and hops and food in the freezer section.

I think the main question to answer when choosing between a frig and keezer is how many beers do you want on tap at the same time? Then the other question might be where are you planning on putting it? If you have a basement then the frig setup is cool... But if this is going in a living area the keezer might be better since you can usually make it look nicer then a standard kegerator.
That's a good question to ask. For me, floor space in the garage is a premium, and I don't care about looks. However, if it had to go in my family room, I would make a nice looking keezer.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Quick Reply