Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > For those of you with converted fridge kegerators...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
bwomp313
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default For those of you with converted fridge kegerators...

Is it worth it? I currently have a 2 tap converted chest freezer but am probably buying a house and will end up with an old refrigerator I'm going to replace. I'm considering turning it into a kegerator. I like the idea of being able to just open the door and futz around inside (less lifting that with the chest freezers) and the fact that all the lines will be chilled minus an inch or so. Also, I thought I could use the freezer part for my hops. It seems like most people prefer the chest freezers. Anyone have opinions? Feel free to post pics of your own fridge conversions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I just went from a fridge/ freezer to a converted chest freezer this week. My hope is to get all my kegs inside carb'n and cooled!

image-2753680396.jpg

Old kegerator! 4 kegs fit inside and 5 outside

image-596373290.jpg

New keezer. Tap on the right will dispense pop for the kids. I'm thinking possible 8-9 kegs should fit inside.

image-2397638673.jpg  

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I went with a fridge because it came with the house. What people have done to chest freezers is a work of art. You really don't see a nice looking fridge, unless it's vintage refridgerator. I also happen to have a vintage fridge, but everytime I think about selling my current kegerator and building a new one, I remember all the hops and fruit I have stored in the freezer. I have never really checked, but I assume it's cheaper to run one fridge/freezer than one fridge and one freezer.

The only other knock on the fridge/freezer is that it is difficult to use large tap handles.
1. Opening the freezer door can open all the taps.
2. Some taps do not have enough room to close, so you need to use an adapter to angle them or have the facuets stick out further.
3. If the tap handle is heavy, the faucets can open and close when you open the door (This might be more of with my Perlick 525 + my woodchuck handle).

So I have small handles on my kegerator and the tap handles displayed elsewhere. Those yeast vial ones look pretty sweet, so you could go with them.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1034 Times on 839 Posts

fwiw, for the large tap handle problem on a top-freezer fridge, you can make an "interlock" that would prevent the freezer door opening without opening the fridge door. A small angle bracket attached to the bottom edge of the freezer door that catches the inside/top of the fridge door will do it...

Cheers!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

More pics..

image-1419411182.jpg   image-1993533444.jpg   image-2320687591.jpg   image-3464148380.jpg  

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 28

What's the most kegs that can fit in a standard fridge? 4? (I know they're all different sizes just a ballpark)

Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313
what's the most kegs that can fit in a standard fridge? 4? (i know they're all different sizes just a ballpark)

- Pliny the Elder

Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I used my old fridge because it was already being used as a beer fridge/hop freezer. I just had to buy the keg coupler and other related serving stuff since I already had CO2 and regulator. I mounted my tap in the side of the fridge to avoid the opening of the door issues. Plus I still have full use of my shelves for bottles. My tank is outside because it's a 20lb and well it wont fit. I might be getting another tap soon because I get 2 free sixtels or 3 cases each month. With a second tap I can have two serving with one in waiting plus plenty of bottles.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313
What's the most kegs that can fit in a standard fridge? 4? (I know they're all different sizes just a ballpark)
I can get 5 in mine. There are only 4 in the pictures but 1 more fits in the middle.
image-547398268.jpg   image-2542360906.jpg   image-2616316224.jpg  

Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It is a tight fit, but I can fit 5 kegs in mine, with the co2 outside.

Quick Reply