Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Those that prime bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Terry08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Those that prime bottles

I thought I might share this. I bottle and just add a measure ofsugar to the bottle but even though the SG is correct I noticed that sometimes when the beer is filled in the bottle, Co2 trapped in solution can cause the beer to foam up. Does not harm anything but it tales longer.

My solution is once the ferment is ready to bottle I check by drawing off a small amount and just sprinkle some sugar in. If it foams up I leave the bottling for a day or two.

I believe that excessive foaming on bottling reduces the final head in the glass.

I am no expert even though I have years of experiance. I adopted a method that works for me and until a few weeks ago when I discovered this forum. I never had any idea how others brewed.

I am always open to improvements and using a secondary for the first time has me inspecting the batch I bottled using this method. It has been a week and I will have difficulty in not trying a bottle. It will be a long month.

It had better be good as I now have another batch in the secondary

Bottled Lager
Secondary Draught
Next Dark Ale

They are what there are no fancy descriptions. An Aussie beer does not need a fancy name, it never lasts long enough to be remembered.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you use software to calculate your amount of priming sugar, it actually takes the CO2 in solution into account - that's why you input the temperature the beer is currently sitting at.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Boiling the sugar in water and adding it to the bottling bucket insures more even distribution. I highly recommend it.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon View Post
Boiling the sugar in water and adding it to the bottling bucket insures more even distribution. I highly recommend it.
Yep. Getting 3/4 cup of sugar +- 5% is easy. Getting 3g of sugar +-5% requires a very nice scale. i.e. Your margin of error for an individual bottle is to large to bother with. Put the sugar into the bucket, siphon in the beer, stir, bottle.

http://www.beertools.com/html/tutori...3/step02.shtml

Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use small measure that is supposed to hold the exact amount each time but I agree that there would be an error. I have not noticed however any difference in carbonation and quality from bottle to bottle.

I may think about it. My main aim at the moment is to reduce final sediment in the bottle. So a bottling bucket would need to be at least 25litre capacity and would add an extra stage to the process

My method that I have been using is this with the added secondary stage:

I take a bottle apply label, dip measure in bowl of sugar and dispence in bottle, then fill bottle and cap.

A lot depends on the results of my last batch. I have found that sticking with a consistant method helps a person judge if in fact an improvement was made

Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 AM   #6
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry08 View Post
I may think about it. My main aim at the moment is to reduce final sediment in the bottle. So a bottling bucket would need to be at least 25litre capacity and would add an extra stage to the process
What are you bottling from? If you're bottling from the secondary, racking to a bottling bucket would be a good start to reducing sediment. If all you have is a smaller bucket, rack half, prime, bottle, repeat.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:36 AM   #7
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

pldoolittle I really appreciate your comments. I am now bottling from the secondary and I am seriously considering your advice. I only adopted the secondary method for my last brew and the bottles have only been matured for one week. I am anxious to compare the results. So far it is looking good. It would not be a big deal to get another brew container as it would cost under $20.

I already have another brew in the secondary for one week. The way I am going I will fast be running out of bottles.

Question:

How long could I store beer in a secondary container and would the yeast reactivate in the botte if stored it for some time before bottling. That also raises the question of possible contamination although with a 4.7% alcohol limit I should imagine that would prevent some contamination.

I cannot afford kegs and the Co2 that goes with it but I could store the beer in secondary's and bottle when I have a batch of bottles available.

After some thought by using a bottling bucket the beer that is mixed with the sugar/dextrose solution is no clearer that it is, as it is poured into the bottle, and any sediment from that, must be the result of the yeast feeding on the suger in the bottle during bottle carbination. I do have mixed thoughts about bulk priming as it adds an extra process and another variable.

It does not mean I will not try however as I could use my fermentor as the bottling bucket. I would have to do it for two identical brews to establish the difference. I have adopted the 1 2 3 method.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

The purpose of the clearing tank is to condition and clear the beer. My opinion is that if you bottle from there (however carefully), you will stir up some sediment. What I do is put the carboy on my kitchen island hours before I rack (if I remember), then rack to the bottling bucket, starting the siphon near the top and lowering until I am just above the yeast cake. This means only clear beer is transferred. The priming solution is boiled while I sanitize the bottles, and adding to the bottling bucket and then the beer racked into this. Then, the bottling is super easy through the spigot and bottling wand in the bottling bucket. I highly recommend this! I don't really think it's an extra step- it's actually reducing 53 steps (adding sugar to each and every bottle).

The beer can stay in the clearing tank ("secondary") a long, long time. I've never done it more than about 4 months, but I bet it could go as long as you needed it to. I can't imagine why this would increase the contamination issue that you mentioned- it's airlocked and "safe" before racking into a sanitized bottling bucket.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmmm! that certainly makes sense. If what you say works then I could have several secondaries filled and stored each with a different brew awaiting bottling.

Is there much difference between the amount of sediment created in the bottle between using sugar or dextrose solutions?

Thanks for the advice but if I get to good at this brewing I will have to beat my mates off with a stick. A guy can get pretty dry in an Aussie Summer and the price of beer is getting out of the reach of the average Joe for refreshment. I am making beer for under 50c/bottle, cheaper than soft drink.

I guess I do not calculate my time in the equation

Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry08 View Post
Is there much difference between the amount of sediment created in the bottle between using sugar or dextrose solutions?
I don't see why there would be, since the sediment is the dormant yeast, not the sugar... but I haven't done any tests on it or anything.

Quick Reply