New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Thinking about converting to all sanke kegs.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
bassistnc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Thinking about converting to all sanke kegs.....

Hi all, I'm new here but have been brewing for a few years. I am considering using sanke 1/6 barrels for my kegging purposes due to the recent increases in ball lock keg prices. I haven't used any pin locks yet so I am not extremely familiar with them, but I do know that using them in my kegerator would limit me to 5 kegs at a time vs. the 6 I can fit if they are 1/6 barrels or ball locks. I disassembled the fat tire keg that I just finished last night and it seems like they are easy enough to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. Are there any major negatives that I am not thinking of? It just seems like it would be nice to pay 50 bucks per keg instead of the 65 plus that everyone seems to want for ball locks. Plus, I could swap commercial beers amongst my home brews without having to change from ball lock connections to a sanke coupler. Thanks in advance!

Jay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Well the only negative, is the fact your stealing kegs from the brewery. Just sayin.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Prices on 1/6 bbl sanke kegs can fluctuate a lot too. Depending on where you get them and if they're actually legit or not. I picked up to (100% legit, decommissioned) 1/6 bbl kegs earlier this week from my supplier. I'll be converting them into fermenting vessels before the end of the weekend (waiting for some welding supplies to come in). Remember, if you keep that keg you paid a DEPOSIT on, you're stealing it. New kegs run a lot more than the deposit you paid.

Keep in mind, you'll need a coupler for each sanke keg you have on tap. If you want to be able to switch between the two types, you'll need to spend more on fittings to allow you to do so.

Personally, I'm not buying any commercial beer, in keg or any other vessel.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 61 Posts

This is NOT stealing them but USING them. He said that he would continue to swap for store bought beer. Now if you get them for deposit price and then alter their shape (read-cut the top off for a keggle) to a point that they can never be used as a keg again, then THAT is stealing.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty_rabbit View Post
This is NOT stealing them but USING them. He said that he would continue to swap for store bought beer. Now if you get them for deposit price and then alter their shape (read-cut the top off for a keggle) to a point that they can never be used as a keg again, then THAT is stealing.
I'm buying legally decommissioned kegs ONLY. I do that for ALL the sanke kegs I have. It does make it more difficult to locate kegs at times, depending on supply. I'm not about to buy those listed on CL or ebay that are not legally obtained in the first place.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

I'm buying legally decommissioned kegs ONLY. I do that for ALL the sanke kegs I have. It does make it more difficult to locate kegs at times, depending on supply. I'm not about to buy those listed on CL or ebay that are not legally obtained in the first place.
I wasn't posting to you gold, we must have hit send at the same time. I was replying to the second post stating that it would be stealing the kegs to use them in the manor that the OP was planning. He has no plans to alter them and the can be returned at any time for re use. I have 2 sankeys that I have deposits on that since returning to brewing have not been used and can be returned at any time. The only draw back is that when I first got them (about 10 years ago) the deposit was only $20.00 each but today the deposit is $50.00 and the liquor store has it stapled to the wall as a joke.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
bassistnc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't think I would be stealing the kegs. As was stated, they would be unaltered and could be returned at any time. I do understand that the brewery may not be enthused by my choice to use their keg as my own though, and had not considered that when I first wrote on the forum. Also, since my first post I have been able to snag a couple good deals on ebay. My local brewing store led me to believe that the overall supply of repurposed ball lock kegs was nearly dried up, so I was simply trying to brainstorm.

As far as the new ball lock kegs on the market, is there a brand that stands above the res or are they all about the same? Thanks for all input.

Jay

Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
mh-brews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you can also buy new sanke 1/6th barrels. however they are about 100 bucks a pop unless you bought a pallette of 24. also the brand new ball lock gets are nice. i bought a 2.5 gallon one for my kid's root beer.

find us on face book MH-BREWS

Old 11-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty_rabbit View Post
I wasn't posting to you gold, we must have hit send at the same time. I was replying to the second post stating that it would be stealing the kegs to use them in the manor that the OP was planning. He has no plans to alter them and the can be returned at any time for re use. I have 2 sankeys that I have deposits on that since returning to brewing have not been used and can be returned at any time. The only draw back is that when I first got them (about 10 years ago) the deposit was only $20.00 each but today the deposit is $50.00 and the liquor store has it stapled to the wall as a joke.
And when you f the spring clips on the connector, then what? If I take your car, drive it for a year, bring it back to you full of gas and new tires.....its the same damn thing. Go ahead and talk yourself into believing it isn't stealing. It is. If your so sure it's "no big deal", call the brewery/distributor/liquor store. See what they say. I'm not the keg police. But one thing I hate is convoluted logic. I'm not trying to be be judgemental about the kegs themselves. Many people on here (if not most) have keggles and such. But just except it for what it is and move on. Don't try to convince yourself it's OK.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
And when you f the spring clips on the connector, then what? If I take your car, drive it for a year, bring it back to you full of gas and new tires.....its the same damn thing. Go ahead and talk yourself into believing it isn't stealing. It is. If your so sure it's "no big deal", call the brewery/distributor/liquor store. See what they say. I'm not the keg police. But one thing I hate is convoluted logic.
I have removed and re-inserted the spring clip numerous times and can only see damaging it if the individual has absolutely no mechanical ability. In the event it does get damaged I am of the opinion that a replacement available at McMaster Carrs should be purchased and re-installed to maintain the original integrity. I’m not sure that I understand the comparison of my automobile and a sankey (one has 1,2 or maybe 3 wearable parts and is intended for re-use and the other isn’t) nor do I think that I want to but by this logic I guess that every home brewer in the following states (Connecticut, Iowa, Mass., Maine, N.Y., Oregon, Vermont and Michigan) MUST buy their bottles from a supply shop because on every long neck resealable bottle that I have states clearly on the label to return for deposit.

Quick Reply