Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Is there such as thing as a shank chiller/cooler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Is there such as thing as a shank chiller/cooler?

Has anyone ever seen a product that screws onto a standard 7/8" diameter shank that is has a couple of barbed connects so that you can pump cold water or glycol through to keep a shank/tap combo chilled?

Was going to wrap some thin copper pipe around (if I can do that without it breaking), but if an actual product exists, so much the better!

Thanks!

Kal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

<--- confused

What are you trying to do here?

Old 10-05-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
MadWeezel
Recipes 

I think he's tring to chill his keg tower correct?

If so just make your hole for the beer line largerso cold air will leak to the tower, This will chill the shanks, If thats not enough, just create a homemade PVC pipe that has the shanke cutout and holes for hot and cold sides for a coolant.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nope - I'm wanting to chill the 4' between my freezer and taps which includes both the lines and the shanks.

Here's the back side:

Here's the front:

There are more pictures here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...2&postcount=26

Kal

Old 10-05-2007, 02:13 AM   #5
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.cdnbev.com/downloads/CBSCatalog_Links.pdf

Check out page 28.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Assuming you drilled holes through the sidewall of the fridge, it might be easier to box in the shanks and lines with insulation and blow cold air from the kegger into the box.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Damn, thats a pretty sweet setup......

<----jealous

I guess Ill just sit here in my trailer watching peoples court with my not as cool looking setup... Ahhh, when I am finaly making money again, how the tables will turn... oh yeah, they will turn...

(putting my glass down now.. too early to be this buzzed, damn you Edwort and your apfelwine)

Old 10-07-2007, 03:02 AM   #8
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Assuming you drilled holes through the sidewall of the fridge, it might be easier to box in the shanks and lines with insulation and blow cold air from the kegger into the box.
I thought about that and that was my original idea but I just couldn't figure out a good way to box in the shanks and lines without lots of complications, so decided to go with the water cooled route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr x
Thanks! I found the "BB700218: Square Brass Cold Block - Fits 7/ 8 inch Shanks" on page 27:

Interesting idea. I'm surprised that there's enough heat transfer using something like that, but they must know.

After a few days of searching for these shank coolers I just I ended up using 1/4" OD copper piping wrapped around the shanks as follows:

I'll also run the two copper lines inline with the 4-5' of beer hose outside the freezer. With so may wraps around the shanks I'm hoping it cools pretty well.

Problem I'm having now is finding a small pump that has enough pressure to push water through the 15' of copper line. I bought a tiny (and I mean TINY!) $15 pump with the perfect fittings but it just doesn't have any pressure to move water through more than a few feet of hose:

It's not the Gallons per Hour (GPH) that's the problem (they're all adequate), it's just that the smaller ones don't push enough. I need something with *LOW* GPH but that actually pushes water (ie: static pressure).

Any recommendations? What brand is everyone else using? Searches around here haven't proved too successful.

Kal

Old 10-07-2007, 03:50 AM   #9
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

you could either go with a more powerful submersible pump, or you could try a peristaltic pump - that will cost you quite a bit though.

i would first try a more powerful submersible pump. don't worry about the GPH being too high, because with the restriction, it won't be an issue.

honestly though, it seems like any setup like this won't be very efficient. i don't know if that is a concern for you though.

after you have this setup, i would also setup some thermometers, one submersed in the cooling liquid in the keg, and one touching a shank or so. wait a couple days for things to equalize, and see the temps.

something else you probably will need to be careful of is condensation, and when you have an excess of condensation, you also need to be careful of mold. always keep an eye on it, especially if you don't have a way to drain it out.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:03 AM   #10
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnef
you could either go with a more powerful submersible pump, or you could try a peristaltic pump - that will cost you quite a bit though.

i would first try a more powerful submersible pump. don't worry about the GPH being too high, because with the restriction, it won't be an issue.
Thanks gnef. You've given me a lot more to think about. I think a more powerful 'regular' pump is the way to go. The pet store I was at didn't have much in stock but checking some of the larger stores (like petsmart.com) shows me that there are quite a few submersible versions available. I'll just keep buying a larger version until it works.

Quote:
honestly though, it seems like any setup like this won't be very efficient. i don't know if that is a concern for you though.
Efficient in which way? Losing heat? In other words running the freezer harder? I was hoping this wouldn't be the case if I wrapped everything in aluminum tape and then insulated.

Is there are more efficient way to cool the lines and shanks that you can recommend? I was going to do forced air but couldn't find a good way to seal up the 4 shanks in a box of some sort without air leaks.

Quote:
after you have this setup, i would also setup some thermometers, one submersed in the cooling liquid in the keg, and one touching a shank or so. wait a couple days for things to equalize, and see the temps.
Will do!

Quote:
something else you probably will need to be careful of is condensation, and when you have an excess of condensation, you also need to be careful of mold. always keep an eye on it, especially if you don't have a way to drain it out.
Good point. I'll keep an eye on things.

Kal

Quick Reply