New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > is there harm in leaving your beer conditioning for too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
ToddPacker69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default is there harm in leaving your beer conditioning for too long?

Meaning, I bottled my beer a few weeks ago, and I tried one the other day and it tasted great. Should I just throw all my beers in the fridge now? Or could I keep letting them ferment in room temp? Is there a bad part to letting them just sit in my closet, not fridged? What is happening to the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
tmags711
get after it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Leave them. Unless you're talking about years (which is crazy, how do you not drink it) the beer will be fine. There's no need to throw all of the bottles in the fridge. Just keep them out of sunlight and at a constant-ish temperature as you would get in a garage, basement, closet, wherever.

Eventually the yeasties will have nothing left to eat and will settle to the bottom. I don't know chemically what's happening to the beer, but your beer will taste different at one month and six months. Not worse, usually better.

That beer tasted like another....

Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Really depends on what style of beer you made. But, for most brews it takes months (if not years), before they start to go south. In most cases they get better with age. And tmags, I have some bottles downstairs on the shelf that are at least 2 years old. I still sample them on occasion. Some beers can hold their own with aging, but surely not all. Cheers!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Some styles are gonna taste great right after they carb up; think wheats, kolsch's, cream ales, etc. IPA's or hoppy pale ales are sometimes in this category as the hop aromas and flavors will dissapate with time. But you have 2 months probably where they are at their peak.

Some are going to taste better after they cellar or age at room temp; think belgian tripels, russian imperial stouts, barleywines, etc. These will age better at cellar or cool room temps than in the fridge. Just a faster process.

Some are going to tast better if they get extended fridge time to lager.

I don't think there's one set answer as it really depends on what you brewed.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Quick Reply