Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Is there a difference between beer line tubing and siphon tubing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Richard-SSV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Is there a difference between beer line tubing and siphon tubing?

I know that there is beer line specific tubing like Bev-Seal Ultra, etc. , but as far as just the regular clear beer line tubing, is it the same pvc tubing that a LHBS would sell you for siphoning?

I was under the impression that beer line tubing was thicker to handle the psi of a pressurized draft system, but the LHBS that I just called tells me that the tubing they sell for siphoning and the tubing they sell for draft beer lines is one in the same. What's the story here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
CityOChampBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

as far as I know its all the same, most people use a smaller size(3/16") for beer lines to prevent foaming issues

Kegged empty

Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Avoid them for tubing then. It's NOT the same stuff, not even close. Never mind that beer line is 3/16" ID (thick wall) tubing that's made to NOT give off any flavors to a beer running through it. If you look up for off-flavor threads, especially plastic flavors for beer on tap, you'll see that the majority of them are caused by using the wrong tubing.

IMO/IME, get the tubing you need for siphoning the beer between vessels, but dispense with Bevlex tubing.

IF you wanted to, you could use Bevlex to siphon with (if the ID matches your cane or system) but I would NOT use the generic nylon tubing to dispense beer.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply