Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Temperature variation in keezer, solutions?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
McKBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hayden, Idaho
Posts: 8,291
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Temperature variation in keezer, solutions?

Finally got around to placing my Ranco temp probe in some gel as I've seen in several threads. Before then, I just stuck the probe between the kegs near the bottom.

I let the gel cool overnight in the keezer without the probe in it. This morning my probe (at the bottom) was reading 35 degrees. The gel at the top was around 43 degrees. This tells me that the top of the keezer is warmer than the bottom.

Two things come to mind. 1) Even with a 2X6 collar, a bit more insulation might be needed. (Although it doesn't seem like the compresser cycles much at all. 2) Most refrigerators and upright freezers have a fan to blow air around. Chest freezers on the other hand have no air circulation and rely on being packed full to maintain temp.

Has anyone put a small fan in a keezer to move air around for more even cooling?

Where in the keezer is the best location to put the "gel" bottle for a good reading?

Thanks for the input.

__________________

Make Beer, Not War.

McKBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,689
Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Sorry I do not have any insight for the location or a fan addition, but I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the Gel Bottle solution?

Thanks,

__________________
humann_brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,384
Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Default

I keep my temp probe (digital thermometer probe) in a jar of water on the compressor hump. It's not as cold there as the back corner (the coldest)...where I put the lagering kegs. Once I placed the collar on mine I'll be keeping 2 serving kegs on the hump...so I can keep certain ales/styles a tad warmer than the other 2 serving kegs (my keezer only fits 4 now...6 with the collar installed). I'm trying to use the temp vs. height difference to my advantage.

In mine the bulb for the temp controller doesn't get any jar or water or anything, it's just exposed to the air just above the hump. Wouldn't want a jar of water 'slowing' it's response and widening the temp swings. Good for the thermometer probe; bad for the temp controller bulb.

__________________
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate
SpanishCastleAle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
JesseRC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,784
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

i place a large computer fan in there that runs off of an old phone charger pack. Works for me. You will get better results once you fill that baby up with kegs full of gold. All freezers, upright or chest work better when fully stocked. I got the same temp difference on mine , and mine is outside. I aim the fan from side wall to top at faucet shanks.

__________________

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

JesseRC is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
McKBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hayden, Idaho
Posts: 8,291
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Sorry I do not have any insight for the location or a fan addition, but I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the Gel Bottle solution?

Thanks,
I have heard from more than a few people that you should have the controller probe in something that doesn't react as widely to temperature swings (like ambient air). It makes sense. Even if the air temperature warms up in the kegerator by a couple of degrees, the liquid in the kegs is not going to react as quickly. By keeping the temp probe in a stable medium it should keep the kegerator from cycling on and off as much.

The gel from those cheap freezer ice bags (the kind that keep food cold in a lunchbox) is commonly used. Some people use an old white labs yeast vial and fill it up and then drill a hole in the top to put the probe through. I used a recycled prescription bottle.


Thank for the other responses. I think I'm going to install a small computer fan in there to circulate the air.
__________________

Make Beer, Not War.

McKBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,689
Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I have heard from more than a few people that you should have the controller probe in something that doesn't react as widely to temperature swings (like ambient air). It makes sense. Even if the air temperature warms up in the kegerator by a couple of degrees, the liquid in the kegs is not going to react as quickly. By keeping the temp probe in a stable medium it should keep the kegerator from cycling on and off as much.

The gel from those cheap freezer ice bags (the kind that keep food cold in a lunchbox) is commonly used. Some people use an old white labs yeast vial and fill it up and then drill a hole in the top to put the probe through. I used a recycled prescription bottle.


Thank for the other responses. I think I'm going to install a small computer fan in there to circulate the air.
Very nice, and the gel doesn't hurt the temperature probe as I thought you can't put them in water right?

The SWMBO just got a hole in one of those gel filled freezer bags, I hope she hasn't thrown in away yet I can just steal that one.
__________________
humann_brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
lombard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Merritt Island, FL, Florida
Posts: 60
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I went down to Target and bought a little (3-4") 120v fan (I think it was a Hawaiin Breeze brand). Right now it's sitting on the compressor hump blowing up at my shanks. This is in a keezer with an 8" collar. When I add my fourth keg, I'll have to move the fan since the keg will be sitting on the hump along with my CO2 bottle.

__________________
lombard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
juvinious
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 396
Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Default Blower

I rigged up a blower with a radio shack 120V 4" fan in a project box:

It feeds air from the very bottom where it is the coldest into the tower and back out through the other side pretty strongly, cycling the air.
You could probably do the same and position the tubing to push the air around the collar area I suppose to cycle the air in your keezer.

Regarding the gell and probe I have mine sitting near my CO2 bottle (you can barely see it here, follow the thin copper wire down to that white blob):

Of course there still seems to be temperature differences from the bottom to the top.... If I add another fan I think it will be overkill since those things heat up allot, which will probably lessen my efficiency.

__________________
Primary: None
Conditioning: None
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel
juvinious is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
JesseRC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,784
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvinious View Post
I rigged up a blower with a radio shack 120V 4" fan in a project box:

It feeds air from the very bottom where it is the coldest into the tower and back out through the other side pretty strongly, cycling the air.
You could probably do the same and position the tubing to push the air around the collar area I suppose to cycle the air in your keezer.

Regarding the gell and probe I have mine sitting near my CO2 bottle (you can barely see it here, follow the thin copper wire down to that white blob):

Of course there still seems to be temperature differences from the bottom to the top.... If I add another fan I think it will be overkill since those things heat up allot, which will probably lessen my efficiency.
I've thought about doing the same thing, those perlicks warm up a bit sitting in 100deg weather.
__________________

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

JesseRC is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #10
pen25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: tulsa, ok
Posts: 976
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

think of a ceiling fan. you want to pull the cool air up since cool air drops. so build a box that stands up off the bottom and allows air to enter. then use a fan with cell charger to blow the air up and then mount a tube to exaust about an inch from the top. you can put a cap on the tube and cut slots to allow the air to push outward. so if you mount the box in the center slot all 4 sides. if in a corner slot 3 sides. with will create enough air movement to allow the keezer to normalize more evenly. the problem is you will always have some variance.

__________________

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

pen25 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fermenting Temperature Variation - Stout Concerns cbw1978 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 02-28-2009 05:53 PM
Temperature variation for lagering? neuron555 General Techniques 2 11-02-2008 01:57 AM
Temperature variation (Igloo) BADS197 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 08-14-2008 03:06 AM
Fermentation Temperature Variation Torchiest General Techniques 2 03-05-2007 02:14 AM