Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Tasting Cork shot out of bottle, will it still carb?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
OrangeCatBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tasting Cork shot out of bottle, will it still carb?

I bottled in wine bottles and I used tasting corks. I have discovered they Do Not Work. The carbonation shot the tasting cork out of the bottle like a shot out of a gun.

The Question: The bottles were left uncorked for a couple days 2-4 (unsure, I was out of town) If I cork the bottles, with a real cork and corker, will they still carbonate?

<I corked the bottles and Im hoping for the best>

Last edited by OrangeCatBrewery; 07-07-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: grammer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4254 Times on 3099 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Um, no, I sure hope not. Wine bottles are not designed to hold pressure. The cork is also not designed to hold pressure. If you're trying to carbonate in a wine bottle, the best thing that can happen is that the corks blow out. Otherwise, the glass bottles will blow up. Corks blowing out is a mess- bottles blowing up are dangerous.

Is this a beer, or a sparkling wine? You could use beer bottles with caps, or champagne bottles with corks and cages. Maybe since they were uncovered for 2 days, they will be still and not carbonated and you'd be ok. Whatever it is will probably be oxidized from the air, though.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
w00zy
Recipes 

Wine bottles aren't designed to hold the pressure so if they do carbonate and the corks hold you'll have bottle bombs.

If you want to cork bottles you should use champagne bottles and cork and cage the corks.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
OrangeCatBrewery
Recipes 

Yikes!!!! Thanks for the info. Disaster averted.

Quick Reply