Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Taste of kegged -vs- bottled?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Default Taste of kegged -vs- bottled?

How does conditioning in a keg compare to conditioning in a bottle?

Since, by force carbonating, we are skipping the in-bottle priming, does this have a major effect on taste?

Does beer in a keg "stay green" longer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
lilzaphod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My understanding, and this could be completely off base...

All bottle conditioning does, besides carbonate the beer, is let the beer age.

So I believe if you let the beer sit in a secondary (or tertiary) for a while before you keg, you are achieving the same thing as if you put the beer in bottles.

I believe the "green" of kegged beer is do to greedy gus' putting the beer on tap before it ages.

Also- On the taste front, again, this could be a WAG (wild ass guess). I believe a properly aged beer not sugar carbed will not have quite the same taste to the discerning pallate. It will be a more "pure" taste since the sugar you add to prime the bottle usually isn't a malt. Personally, I cannot tell the difference since the amount you add to bottle is minimal. But I'm willing to bet the people who win homebrew contests do not use sugar to bottle.

Anxiously waiting to see responses to this to make sure I have it right in my head.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1061 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Here's the thing.. conditioning is time based. Some people throw green beer into a keg, burst carb it on 30psi while shaking, then drink it. That's green beer. It's not so easy to rush it when you're trying to carb in a bottle. It forces you to wait 2-3 weeks minimum. If you carb the exact same batch using both methods and let them both sit warm for the same 3 weeks and sample, they should taste ABOUT the same. Notice that I said let them both sit warm... that's another important part of conditioning beer.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply