Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Tap system parts too old???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
Scooter13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tap system parts too old???

Alright....embarking on outfitting my game-room bar with a 2 tap system, coming from my fridge in the garage. I am going right through the garage wall into my game room with the lines, and installing the taps right on the wall within the confines of the bar. I have two questions...

My father-in-law had some really old shanks and taps, from his bar he owned years ago (maybe 10 years). Am I going to be able to get them clean enough for use? Outsides look fine, but they are pretty crusty inside...Is there some process that I should follow that would ensure they are cleaned, or should I bag my cheapness, and just spring for new stuff???

I have read a lot on the site about lengths of lines, and am concerned about coming in from the garage with the beer lines to the shanks. Really we are only talking about maybe 3 feet or so from the keg output lines to the end of the shanks...Will this length be ok?

Tks all....

Up Next: A wheat of some sort

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1. It depends on what kind they are. If forward sealing then yes I would clean them, if not, no I would not.

2. I would be less worried about the length and more about how I would keep the lines cold.
I use 10 feet of line to slow down the 15psi I carb at. But warm lines means warm beer. At least the first pint or two. Sad to waste that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 12-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

taps and shanks should soak in a solution of PBW or Oxi-clean for a couple days. then try and brush out gunk, if it's corroded then toss it.

line balancing can be found here http://hbd.org/clubs/franklin/public...s/balance.html

happy brewing

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Take the taps apart & soak them. Most taps have a seal or two that you'll probably have to replace. Shanks are nothing more than specialized pipes & as long as there is no corrosion, they'll be fine.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-03-2007, 12:22 AM   #5
Scooter13
Recipes 

I'm not completely sure I understand "forward-sealed", but I am thinking that they might be corroded to some extent...

I am going to try and soak them, but we'll see...I'm just trying to be as thrifty as possible, cause the Mrs. has been really patient with my homebrew start-up to this point....She was even semi-ok with me heisting the downstairs fridge to use as my new keg fridge...(I told her there will still be room to store stuff... )

The article linked is awesome, so big thanks Erik....

Yea, the coldness of the lines didn't occur to me...Probably won't be an issue at all in the winter here in Pittsburgh, cause my garage is un-heated, and un-insulated...But I may need to get creative in the summer months.

Thanks to all...Going to watch the Steelers game!!!

Scott

Up Next: A wheat of some sort

Quick Reply