Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Tap handle directly connected to ball lock on keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
StunnedMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tap handle directly connected to ball lock on keg?

OK, I've seen these before...there's one in one of the Austin Picnic photos in the other thread. It's a tap faucet connected right on a corny keg ball lock coupler. I'm interested in this because I'm going to be kegging soon. I don't have a kegerator, because I'm not sure which direction to go on that yet. For now I'll keep my kegs in a dedicated refrigerator, but you'll just open the door to dispense. (This is a really nice full size fridge in my basement bar. No way I'd EVER get spousal approval to drill holes in that thing. )

I'm curious how these things work, because I'd like the idea of opening the fridge door and pulling a tap connected to the keg, rather than monkeying with a picnic tap connected to 6 feet of tubing. But when I read about "balancing" a tap system the general consensus seems to be that to dispense at say, 12 lbs of pressure without foaming, you generally need about 6 feet of beer line. So if a tap was connected directly to the post with no beer line at all, would that be a balancing nightmare?

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I believe it would be a nightmare.
Mostly these are for travel and "parties at the Park" where you'd have a charger on the other side, and be shooting from the hip on pressure anyway.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I believe it would be a nightmare.
Mostly these are for travel and "parties at the Park" where you'd have a charger on the other side, and be shooting from the hip on pressure anyway.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Oh well.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

You need to serve at 1-2 psi for those to work. Unfortunately, your beer will go nearly flat if you store it at 1-2 psi. So, you'll either have to mess with your regulator a lot or find a different solution.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
You need to serve at 1-2 psi for those to work. Unfortunately, your beer will go nearly flat if you store it at 1-2 psi. So, you'll either have to mess with your regulator a lot or find a different solution.
+1. Yep. 1-2 PSI works great for dispensing at a party as your keg will be empty long before it has a chance to go flat.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply