Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > TAP-A-DRAFT: first impression...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #331
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I still use the old style with two carts (I have 2 of those regulators). I can use one CO2 and one N cart when I want to. Do you guys who have both types like one better than the other?

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #332
sengsational
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut4wine View Post
Really? Those fit the tap-a-draft?
No. Do not buy threaded.

If you jump to about 10:30 in this video, you'll see the cartridges they sent with the kit (unthreaded).

Reason: Added link to video

Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #333
sengsational
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
I still use the old style with two carts (I have 2 of those regulators). I can use one CO2 and one N cart when I want to. Do you guys who have both types like one better than the other?
I have both types. 8 gram cartridges are cheaper by the gram, so that's the main reason I like to use the old style tap. The new style tap has a flakier connection between the cartridge and the tap. I'm still using the box of 16 gram cartridges that came with the newer tap, but I even use the 8 gram cartridges in the miller home draft taps (I use a home-made converter). I like using 8 gram units because sometimes 16 grams is not enough to push out all the beer, so can get it delivered with 3 x 8 rather than 2 x 16. I'm not much for the nitrous mix, but that is a benefit to the old tap style. But since you can't get the old taps anymore, really not much to talk about except that if I had a good old style tap, I'd not be in a rush to get the new style.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #334
nut4wine
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
Actually, that is not true (former law weasel here). If they have a store return policy posted they don't really have to take them back. That is true in almost every state. Now the ethical thing would be to take them back.
The concept of "Fitness for a Particular Purpose" says that if the seller knows of a particular purpose for which the goods are being purchased, then there is an implied warranty of fitness. So, if they knew you were buying cartridges for a tap-a-draft and told you they would work in it and they don't, the implied warranty has been broken. The seller is obligated to take them back.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #335
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
No. Do not buy threaded.

If you jump to about 10:30 in this video, you'll see the cartridges they sent with the kit (unthreaded).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8YGKqpWp_E
there are others on amazon.com that are not threaded:

http://www.amazon.com/Box-16-gram-CO...ds=16+gram+co2

Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #336
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Hey guys! I mostly heard about the 8 gram carts system, but I'm about to buy the 16 grams, because it's the only one available.

Have you tried it? Is there 2 carts in it or only one?
If there's only 1 cart, what is the way to use N2 for stout?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #337
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiroux View Post
Hey guys! I mostly heard about the 8 gram carts system, but I'm about to buy the 16 grams, because it's the only one available.

Only one cart in the new system. As for using nitrous with it, I think the truth is, you probably don't. I suppose you could carb it up with CO2 and see if you can just push with nitrous, but I don't know if that would work correctly. Honestly, I was never too impresed with the nitrous pour on my 2 cart system.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #338
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiroux View Post

i have the 2 cart. just use co2, the N2 does nothing, although i still sometime use a mixe of co2/n2 just to save on co2 carts.

Remember, its not the actual gas that does anything for nitro stouts on tap, its the high pressure through the filter nozzle, and i dont think that can be achieved with a TAD.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #339
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithstewpid View Post
i have the 2 cart. just use co2, the N2 does nothing, although i still sometime use a mixe of co2/n2 just to save on co2 carts.

Remember, its not the actual gas that does anything for nitro stouts on tap, its the high pressure through the filter nozzle, and i dont think that can be achieved with a TAD.
Oh I see. Thats great info! Thanks!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #340
MagooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Can you use th TaD System to store non primed beer in and force carbonate one at a time as needed?

"A flute with no holes is not a flute......
....... and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish."

Ty Webb

Quick Reply