New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > TAP-A-DRAFT: first impression...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #21
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always force-carb with my TaD.

I start by chilling the filled bottle for a couple days, and then load up a single CO2 cartridge (empty cartridge on the other side) and give the whole thing a gentle shake for a minute or so. Then I give it another 24 hours before replacing the empty cartridge side with a new one. After 48 hours I start pouring tasty beer and load up new cartridges as needed to keep things flowing. I normally go through 3 or maybe 4 cartridges to carbonate and empty a full TaD bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #22
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Sounds much better than the 5L min-keg system I started with. The plastic tap handle broke at the pivot after about two weeks. The replacement lasted about the same.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-15-2008, 03:03 AM   #23
kjbatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am on my second batch using TAD. The first batch was a wheat beer that was good but had poor head retention. The bottles leaked some when i conditioned them on their side (as recommended by TAD). I just bottled my second batch and have noticed that one of the bottles does not seal well. Will this bottle be ruined? I have ordered some of the white caps with the gaskets for my next batch...

Old 07-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #24
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbatt View Post
I am on my second batch using TAD. The first batch was a wheat beer that was good but had poor head retention. The bottles leaked some when i conditioned them on their side (as recommended by TAD). I just bottled my second batch and have noticed that one of the bottles does not seal well. Will this bottle be ruined? I have ordered some of the white caps with the gaskets for my next batch...
I use the standard black caps on my TAD bottles, but I stand them up, not on their sides. I put 12-15 flat teaspoons of corn sugar per 6 litre bottle for a full carb. So far no leaks. This would be my 5th batch with the TAD. No problems.

You can try the white caps, or just stand them up (like a regular bottle) and there shouldn't be any problems.

Cheers.
Tony.

Last edited by brewNdrink; 07-16-2008 at 02:33 AM.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #25
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I also bought the TAP system before I went to full kegging. I liked it very much and had no complaints except for the caps. I bought the special relief caps the company sells and I was just fine.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #26
squeekysheep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

do you just keep the bottles covered with conditioning them. or do they offer colored bottles also.

i can't look them up because the web site is not working

Battle Axe brewing

Old 07-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #27
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekysheep View Post
do you just keep the bottles covered with conditioning them. or do they offer colored bottles also.

i can't look them up because the web site is not working
It's working now...
http://www.sturmanbg.com/products/beverage_dispenser.asp

The Bottles have some protection from light, but not very much. I'd keep them in a dark place for conditioning. I keep mine in my brewing/storing closet.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #28
bergman1118
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

anybody know a good place to buy one of these? i've seen prices from $50 to $70.. and both midwest and northern brewer are out of these right now..

Old 08-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #29
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Not sure if anyone else has done this, but this system seems perfect if you have friends who brew in your area. You each make 5 gallon batches of your favorite brew, load up 3 bottles each, and then trade a bottle. If you have 2 friends, you can each have 3 different bottles of brew to enjoy each time you all run a batch.

I gotta get more of my friends into homebrewing...

Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #30
bergman1118
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

anybody have a problem of over carbonating? i ordered a TAD system which should be coming in a few days, and was gonna put my ginger saison in it for the first test of the TAD system. my plan was to simply add corn sugar as i would when normally bottling (3/4 cup for 5 gallons) and then conditioning for 3-4 weeks. I understand that you should be able to add as much corn sugar as you normally would when bottling, but I was just wondering if anybody had problems when doing this with overcarbonation or anything? as the faq says:

How much sugar should I use when naturally carbonating with priming sugar?

It is not necessary to use as much priming sugar as you would in beer bottles. You only need to create enough secondary fermentation to give a slight gas pressure...which is enough to preserve and mature the beer. You can make up any shortfall in pressure when you use the c02 bulbs or the n2 bulbs.

they don't really give a good amount to use, just that you would use less than when bottling.

Last edited by bergman1118; 09-01-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply