The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > TAP-A-DRAFT: first impression...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #221
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Hello everyone,
Ive used my TAD for a couple brews now, and just wanted to see if anyone has my problem.
I condition with normal priming sugar, and add 1 co2 cart, and another halfway through the bottle. After a couple days, my beer looses its head, and soda-like bubbles form. when i poor my beer from the dispenser, the beer "hisses" like when you poor a can of coke. The bubbles dissipate very quickly, and i am left with a bubbly beer with no head.
Anyone else have this?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #222
schia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hello All,

Was hoping to get a keg with my next pay cheque but the missus is against it since the last (actually first) brew I made tasted like soya source. Because I am determined to get draft beer at home we came to a compromise at decided on TAD. I’m planning to get 3 to 4 of those 6 litter bottles but only 1 TAD.

This might be a really silly question – do I need get 3 TAD for all 3 bottles or just 1 TAB and reuse them? This question of cause raised another question like, when I add my dextrose to the other 2 bottles to get the carbonation and when its time to put in the TAD, wont it just loose all the gas? I hope my question make sense.

Thanks in advance folks.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #223
schmaltzy
Recipes 

Yes, you can get just one tap and when you finish one bottle just put the tap on the next one. Unless you would like to have a couple different brews in the bottles and a couple tapped at the same time.

As far as the carbonation goes.....I still haven't opened my TAD bottles for the first time. I probably will next week sometime. My understanding is that you just prime as normal (I did anyway) and when you open it 2-3 weeks later the excess gas is what blows off, just like a bottle. Example: when you pour youself a glass of beer out of a bottle, it stays carbonated in the glass for quite some time. Well, the first time you open your TAD bottle you'll be screwing your tap on right away and adding the additional CO2 again which will put you back at square one.

Like I said, I have not yet opened one of my TAD bottles, but I believe this is how it should work. I hope to open one in the next 2 weeks and when I do, I want to try and make a video of me doing it. If so, I will post it on my blog and let you know!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #224
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I have 10 TAD bottles and two taps. I normally prime the beer in a bottling bucket and then transfer to the TAD bottles. I let them age about a month and then refrigerate at least a day before I tap. I start by using 1 CO2 cartridge and once that one is done, I'll add another and after a few pulls, I'll go ahead and add the second. When not in use, I've had the best success with the TAD bottles standing upright. But when they are tapped and being used, they are horizontal. If you are going to go a few days between pours, and your CO2 carts are empty, replace the tap with a sanitized cap until next use.

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 AM   #225
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

+1

ALWAYS store the bottles upright. They can leak if the pressure gets high and you'd much rather just have excess CO2 escape around the cap rather than precious beer!

What I liked to do is to fill one TAD bottle from each batch and bottle the rest. That way I could start drinking from the TAD bottle as soon as it's ready to go and then set the bottle aside to age a little longer. Plus, I'd end up with TAD bottles lined up with different brews.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #226
schia
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmaltzy View Post
Yes, you can get just one tap and when you finish one bottle just put the tap on the next one. Unless you would like to have a couple different brews in the bottles and a couple tapped at the same time.

As far as the carbonation goes.....I still haven't opened my TAD bottles for the first time. I probably will next week sometime. My understanding is that you just prime as normal (I did anyway) and when you open it 2-3 weeks later the excess gas is what blows off, just like a bottle. Example: when you pour youself a glass of beer out of a bottle, it stays carbonated in the glass for quite some time. Well, the first time you open your TAD bottle you'll be screwing your tap on right away and adding the additional CO2 again which will put you back at square one.

Like I said, I have not yet opened one of my TAD bottles, but I believe this is how it should work. I hope to open one in the next 2 weeks and when I do, I want to try and make a video of me doing it. If so, I will post it on my blog and let you know!

Thanks schmaltzy for that reply. I was a bit confuse as to how many TAD i need to get cause it can get really expensive. I have a wheat beer in the primary and will rack it into the 6 liter bottles once its ready.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #227
schmaltzy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schia View Post
Thanks schmaltzy for that reply. I was a bit confuse as to how many TAD i need to get cause it can get really expensive. I have a wheat beer in the primary and will rack it into the 6 liter bottles once its ready.
You're profile shows u live in Malaysia so I don't know what shipping is for you, but I get my TAD bottles from Midwest Supplies (TAD System). I only live about 5 hours away from their warehouse so shipping isn't that bad for me. The reason I suggest them is you can get bottles cheaper from them. I just ordered 4 and they included the upgraded caps! Like I said though, shipping could get crazy.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #228
New Brew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can anyone tell me if a tapped TAD setup fits in the mini fridges typically used for kegerator conversion (Sanyo 49XX, Oster, etc)?

And by fit, I mean can you put them in front-to-back, ready to dispense beer?

SWMBO, to my surprise, recently made mention of getting a dedicated "beer fridge", and since most of my beer is currently going into TAD bottles I want a fridge that will fit them.

I don't keg yet, but I'd like to be able to easily move in that direction for the future, so my first thoughts went to those models most often converted into home kegerators.

-NB

Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #229
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Anyone on my previous question of a soda-like carbonation????

Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #230
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithstewpid View Post
Anyone on my previous question of a soda-like carbonation????
Doesn't sound like an issue with the TAD itself. More that something is killing your head retention.

Quick Reply