Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > TAP-A-DRAFT: first impression...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
kenche
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewNdrink View Post
Just wondering, I've noticed that if the tap-a-draft has been sitting in my fridge for 2 weeks+ that it needs another CO2 cartridge, totaling 3 for 1 bottle. Do I have a tiny leak, or is this normal? If I polish off 1 bottle in a couple days there isn't a problem, as I use 2 CO2 cartridges.
This is what I was referring to in my last point. I used to think that the botlle was out of co2 because when I opened the tap no beer flowed out. After replacing the co2 cartridge, the beer began to flow again.

In my case I discovered that the reason the beer wasn't flowing was because of a 'stuck tap'. The reason that replacing the co2 worked was that excess gas would rush through the tap unsticking it.

The next time that you think the botlle is out of gas, try vigourously pulling and squeezing the rubber outlet hose to see if that unsticks it. Another way to tell if it is truly out of gas is by pushing on the botlle. If it gives easily, it is out of gas. If it is at all rigid, there is still plenty of co2.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #12
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenche View Post
This is what I was referring to in my last point. I used to think that the botlle was out of co2 because when I opened the tap no beer flowed out. After replacing the co2 cartridge, the beer began to flow again.

In my case I discovered that the reason the beer wasn't flowing was because of a 'stuck tap'. The reason that replacing the co2 worked was that excess gas would rush through the tap unsticking it.

The next time that you think the botlle is out of gas, try vigourously pulling and squeezing the rubber outlet hose to see if that unsticks it. Another way to tell if it is truly out of gas is by pushing on the botlle. If it gives easily, it is out of gas. If it is at all rigid, there is still plenty of co2.
OK, I see what you mean. Sounds a little kinky, but I'll give it a try when I get home, as it's almost out of CO2.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenche View Post

Ok, tried your method. Didn't work. I guess it's just almost out of gas. It's a shame I sometimes have to use 3 cartridges for 1 bottle. Oh well, guess I'll just have to drink a little faster so it won't happen.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCanuck View Post
Sounds like Good Stuff brewNdrink
I also wanted to welcome another fellow Canuck to the Board
You mention your drinking Canadian Blonde...one of my favorites;

Cheers
BeerCanuck
I'm drinking a Canadian Blonde as I type this! Though I use the Coopers Canadian Blonde kit. I'm sure it's similar.

Cheers, sir.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #15
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Well I took my Tap-a-draft on the road with me... weekend camping, and a week long road trip. My buddies loved it.

I made a simple batch of Coopers Mexican Cerveza and took it on the road. What I did was buy a cheap styrofoam cooler, cut out a hole on the side to slide the end of the bottle through, loaded it with ice, then tapped it. It worked flawlessly. I great ice-cold thirst quencher. Tap-a-draft rules!

I'm about to try the Coopers Brewmaster Pilsner. I know it comes with a special yeast that can be fermented as low as 13C. I'm using an old fridge to ferment around that temp. Anyone have any experience with this kit?

Cheers.
Tony.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #16
kingjam
Recipes 

I am about to buy a Tap-A-Draft. It seems perfect for the amount I brew. Does the force carb work ok

Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #17
BlackHat
Recipes 

This sounds perfect for 1-gallon batches. Has anyone tried that, or is that too much headroom?

Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #18
boodyrischous
Recipes 

Default TAD to avoid conditioning?

My buddy and I need to brew a batch that will have about 5 weeks of primary and secondary fermentation. We normally feel that at least 3 week sare necessary for bottle conditioning, but will be serving this beer around the time the secondary fermentation will finish. We were thinking of getting the TAD system or Mini Kegs and force carbing to avoid having to leave time for bottle conditioning. Is the TAD still good without priming? We will have wort to prime with and that always tastes young unless we leave at least 3 weeks. Any ideas?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #19
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by uselesslogic View Post
This sounds perfect for 1-gallon batches. Has anyone tried that, or is that too much headroom?
TaD actually needs some headroom. Otherwise the moment you pierce a CO2 cartridge, the bottle instantly over-pressurizes and the relieve valve opens, wasting most of the cartridge.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:03 AM   #20
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjam View Post
I am about to buy a Tap-A-Draft. It seems perfect for the amount I brew. Does the force carb work ok
I've never force-carbed a tap-a-draft bottle yet. I've been told it needs 4 CO2s (2 for force-carbing, 2 for dispensing). I've heard it takes about a week in the fridge to force-carb.

Quick Reply