The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > TAP-A-DRAFT: first impression...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 04:16 AM   #141
bkov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

so i havent read through the thread but has a cheap source for bottles been found yet? i can get 3liter ones at the supermarket that fit for $1.25 each

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #142
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I looked in my tap and there are what appears to be clear plastic o-rings in there.

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #143
jim4065
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I read through this once and there seemed to be some disagreement about the amount of priming sugar to use with the Tap-A-Draft. Should the "normal" amount (that you use for bottling) be cut down for these plastic bottles? If so - by how much? Has anyone had a bottle that broke open from too much CO2? I'd like to just plunk the normal amount of sugar into the bottling bucket, then fill tall boys or the TAD bottles according to whim. Maybe that way a single cartridge would dispense a complete 6 liter bottle.......

Old 12-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #144
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I primed mine with the full amount of priming sugar on Dec 3. We tapped one last weekend and it was quite good. The other two have now gone another week in my basement and I've had no issues with bottle bombs. I've checked the caps several times to be sure they are still tight and that's it.

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-28-2009, 01:25 AM   #145
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

According to the instructions, you should use less. I use the normal amount and it works fine for me. Not sure if there was ever disagreement on the subject since nobody really thinks the other way is wrong, just that we do it different. Though, some folks got some leakage (eew) when they used a higher amount. If you store them upright until tapping, any leakage should just be excess CO2.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-28-2009, 01:56 AM   #146
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

used mine with two different TAD beers. One Irish Dry stout (used the N20 cartirdges), the other an IPA. They both were great and worked well. I used teh normal bottling amount of sugar and my carb level was perfect for each one. Killed both TAD bottles this weekend with friends over and it was a great hit. The nitrogen option was awesome...definitely made a difference in giving me a creamy head.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #147
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Creamy head.....awesome. Well I've read this whole thread twice and I"m going to Northerns site right now to place my order. Although Midwest has a 4 pack of bottles, and the proper priming caps, I have a hundred dollar gift certificate to Northern, so I'm up the creek I guess. I'll have to place two orders, I suppose. SWMBO should be thrilled about that.....again.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #148
jim4065
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just filled one TAD brown bottle with Belgian Ale (Kit). I primed normally, then filled it to 1/2" below the bottom of the screw threads. Should I let a bit of beer out to give more room or is that about where ya'll are filling? I put the rest of the batch up in bombers so if something goes wrong with the TAD I don't lose too much beer.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #149
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That amount of headroom is pretty much what I did. So it shouldn't be a problem.

I tried an experiment with the third bottle. I filled it to about 3/4 inch below the threads, then squeezed the bottle till the beer was flush with the opening and then capped. I was curious if it would work and if I would have less oxidation risk. I don't think it will make much difference, or know how I would tell since the regular way worked fine. Either way, it has carbed fine (nice and tight TAD bottle) and I haven't tapped it yet.

Anybody know how long the beer stays good once you tap it? I went through 2 kegs on one weekend, but since that was with friends over, it went fast. Now its just me and the wife, so it could last several weeks...will the beer stay good? Maybe I need to sanitize the tap huh?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #150
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim4065 View Post
Just filled one TAD brown bottle with Belgian Ale (Kit). I primed normally, then filled it to 1/2" below the bottom of the screw threads. Should I let a bit of beer out to give more room or is that about where ya'll are filling? I put the rest of the batch up in bombers so if something goes wrong with the TAD I don't lose too much beer.
I "think" you are supposed to have a bit more headspace than that. If you think about a 12 oz bottle, you have maybe an inch of space. But that's only 12 oz, not 6 liters (1.5 gallons!). How much though? Since the bottle flares out fairly fast, I'd guess it's about 2.5" or so. I know there is some limit to how little head space you should have, as it stands to reason that less space will increase pressure.

I've been wondering alot about this though. Does how much headspace make a difference in how it pours(assuming equal carbonation) Reading through this entire thread, I see one person squeezes out some of the extra space when bottling, so the conditioning fills it back up.

My experiences so far are that the amount of foam in the glass depends upon where you are in the bottle. Seems like it's fairly foamy to start with, pretty good about a 1/3 way down; at somewhere about half I add the second cartridge, and it is good again. Then it pours but not much carbonation near the end. I did some of the 3 liter bottles, and it seemed to use two cartridges for the CO2, same as in the 6 liter bottles. I tried one 6 liter with 3 inches of head space, and one with 1.5 inches of head space, and was not sure there was that much difference in the foam, but am not certain, as my temperature regulation of my mini-fridge has not been that good (and carbonation level varies with temperature).

Has anyone got a system for using TAD that gives consistent foam levels from start to finish?

Quick Reply