Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > TAP-A-DRAFT: first impression...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #131
jim4065
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bought some n2o for mine - but haven't had a chance to bottle anything in the system yet. Will the n2o act as a co2 cartridge or as an adjunct? In other words, will I still have to add a second co2 after the first co2 is exhausted - even though there is an n2o still connected to the system?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #132
Telix
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my TAD setup if you want to expand yours:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/tap-...ra-tap-152867/

Old 12-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #133
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't used my TAD yet, but I saw this on morebeer's site and realized that mine didn't come with any o-rings for the co2 cartridge. I looked inside the tap and there is nothing there either? is this a necessary part?

http://morebeer.com/view_product/182...he_CO2_Piercer

Old 12-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #134
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzz View Post
I haven't used my TAD yet, but I saw this on morebeer's site and realized that mine didn't come with any o-rings for the co2 cartridge. I looked inside the tap and there is nothing there either? is this a necessary part?

http://morebeer.com/view_product/182...he_CO2_Piercer
Funny you mention that. Mind didn't come with any tiny o-rings for the CO2 carts either. The dispensing cap has an o-ring. Mine also came with three black L-brackets and wingnuts but absolutely no explanation. My parts were in a ziplock bag and not a box from MW. Did the rest of you get your parts in a box?
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #135
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No other brackets or wingnuts, but everything else was in the box that the tap came in..

I'm guessing you don't need the o-rings since you didn't have them either? I wonder if the O-rings are just extra insurance so you don't have a co2 leak?

Old 12-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #136
jim4065
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I got mine from Northern Brewer. No O-Rings came with the system, but I did get the instructions. I also bought a "Repair Kit" which has two flexible clear/white plastic "washers" which can be seen here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...e/2636/id/434/

I paid for an extra co2 O-Ring, which was shipped and looks exactly like the other "white" ones and not like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...o2-o-ring.html

If I had to guess, I'd say there was a product change by "Tap-A-Draft" and the old o-rings are no longer provided - though why I didn't get any o-rings in the kit itself is a separate question (which I'll take up with "Northern Brewer" tomorrow). Got to admit that I'm kinda dissapointed with Northern Brewer - first no instructions with an All-Grain kit and now it appears they shorted me on some parts.

Edit: Forgot to mention - no box here either. Just 3 ziplock bags. Maybe TAD ran outta boxes?

Old 12-22-2009, 04:32 AM   #137
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Mine didn't come with o-rings. Works fine. though...

I had a problem tonight. I tapped my TAD bottle of my saison and I seem to have had a pressure valve malfunction. I put the head on the bottle and it seemed fine. I laid it down and screwed in the two CO2 carts. Did really well and didn't waste much co2. Thing is... it kept emptying CO2 into the bottle. The bottle started to buldge. Thought it was going to assplode. The pressure started pushing the dispensing valve open and beer started coming out. I held it closed and yelled to SWMBO to get me a mug. I had to relieve the pressure personally. 9% abv saison. I'm happy to say I saveed the bottle and didn't waste the saison. I's druk! but the beer is save!

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #138
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim4065 View Post

If I had to guess, I'd say there was a product change by "Tap-A-Draft" and the old o-rings are no longer provided - though why I didn't get any o-rings in the kit itself is a separate question (which I'll take up with "Northern Brewer" tomorrow). Got to admit that I'm kinda dissapointed with Northern Brewer - first no instructions with an All-Grain kit and now it appears they shorted me on some parts.
I'm guessing it was a product change...I have the same clear washers in there. Thanks for posting the detail...I was freaking out as I want to tap it tomorrow night for some friends who are coming over!

Old 12-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #139
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Confirmed with SturmanBG. I just called them and they have changed the design to use the clear poly washers instead. Apparently they don't fall out as easily and work as well? The did state that you must use them or else it won't seal and you will lose your Co2.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #140
jim4065
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The washers from my repair kit fit perfectly - so I'm good to go when the time comes. In addition, Lance at Northern Brewer offered to ship replacement washers via Priority Mail - which is really going "above and beyond". I told him to hold off and they can ship in my next order. Nice to know that they are willing to belly up to the bar when necessary.

Quick Reply