Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > TAP-A-DRAFT: first impression...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 04:42 AM   #121
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telix View Post
Carbonate them naturally upright. Chill them in your fridge. Attach the tap with the bottle upright (obviously), lay it on its side, then insert C02 cartridges, keeping it on its side. Stick it back in the fridge and keep it cold and on its side from then on.

I'm attempting to naturally carbonate with the full amount of priming sugar this time. I'll report back with my experiences. The worst thing about TAD is the way the carbonation changes over time as the CO2 cartidges add forced carbonation, but the extra head space causes the carbonation to change again, and as the CO2 runs out it changes, etc etc. It's very difficult to have a consistent pour from it. I'm hoping a full natural carb will change that.

I'm also using the full amount of sugar on my batch. This batch was in primary for 18/19 days and then crashed cooled for 24hrs before moving to a bottling bucket. I figured a lot of yeast probably settled out and I'd need the full sugar load. They've been in my basement at 69F nine days now and the bottles are firm, but no bombs.
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 04:45 AM   #122
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The reason you must keep TaD horizontal during CO2 cartridge insertion is the cartridges are partially liquid CO2. If the liquid is allowed to flow through the TaD it can break it and even burst the bottle due to rapid expansion if it makes it that far.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #123
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
The reason you must keep TaD horizontal during CO2 cartridge insertion is the cartridges are partially liquid CO2. If the liquid is allowed to flow through the TaD it can break it and even burst the bottle due to rapid expansion if it makes it that far.
+1 on that. I knew I'd heard the reason why and it was something like that, but I couldn't recall enough of it to crate a coherent sentence on the subject.

I always use the same amount of sugar I'd use for bottling and have had no issues. No leaks or problems. And I have the plain black caps that came with my TAD system.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #124
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OK Lads, I have a report to make:
I tapped my first TAD bottle yesterday. It had been naturally carbonating for just over two weeks and had been refrigerated a day or two. In the beginning, it was in primary for over two weeks and then crash cooled for 24hrs. From there it went to a bottling bucket with a full charge of priming sugar. From there, it went into three TAD bottles.

The first bottle had been in the fridge for a day or two. Yesterday morning, I removed the black cap and there was a nice hiss as CO2 was discharged. I screwed on the dispensing head, inserted one CO2 cart and placed it back into the fridge for several hours until our guests arrived. **(Someone else already said this and it is so true: When screwing in the cartridges, do it quickly once it is punctured or you'll lose a lot of CO2). I probably lost half my first cart that way. When it was time for the first pour, I placed the second CO2 cart in the regulator. I remember some of you said to open the tap all the way and then close it partially to generate a head at the end. The very first pour ran as pure and clear as a brown ale could be. It was great!

I do have two bottles of the brown ale left and I'll be filling three more with Bee Cave Haus Ale. Once a bottle is opened, I do have to wonder if it will last until I can consume it (there were 3 of us yesterday). After the Bee Cave Haus Ale, I'm going to modify my recipes to 3gal batches. I do have a brand new case of 12oz PET bottles and caps. Maybe, I'll fill some of those.

Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #125
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

When I'm the only one drinking it, I generally have to change carts at least once before I empty the bottle.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 AM   #126
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Me too. Naturally carbonated it usually takes me 2 cartridges to push a bottle. If I force-carbonate, it's 3-4.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #127
jrfuda
Recipes 

Same here. Naturally carb, use one cart initially and charge again about 1/2-way through the bottle. I have some Cream of 3 Crops Cream Ale that I'm going to start chilling tonight to serve to my guests on Christmas Day (along with some bottled Homebrew Amber Ale and a case of Sam Adams winter variety pack as a backup).

Old 12-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #128
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm about to tap my first one this week. When inserting the co2 cartridge, I read that you need to do this quickly...is that only if you are doing 1 cartridge? or do you always have to have 2 installed? In other words, when you put one in, is co2 coming out of the other cartridge location until you put one there too?

Also, I have some NO2 cartridges...is there anything special about when to screw them in? (first, or after the co2?)

I'm psyched to tap my TAD!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #129
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I only did one and placed the whole thing back in the fridge on it's side for a few hours before tapping. When I was ready to tap, I added the second cart.

Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #130
jrfuda
Recipes 

It's perfectly fine to only use 1 cart at a time. I assume there's a 1-way valve on each cart tap that preventsgas from getting out. I typically have only 1 cart on for about a week before adding the second.

Quick Reply