Taking kegs off the tank...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
I've got two kegs that are more than half way full. I have a third keg that I need to carb up for a party next week. I'm thinking I'm going to disconnect one of the kegs for about 5 days or so.

Will it be ok when I reconnect it? I don't see why not, but thought I'd ask. I'm planning on keeping it cold.

I'm planning on building a manifold outside my kegerator just after the regulator for just that purpose.

Brewsmith said:
I'm planning on building a manifold outside my kegerator just after the regulator for just that purpose.

Ya, me too - just not before I need it - lol

Often times, I find myself wanting to connect and disconnect kegs before they are finished. Here's what I do:

If I've been serving from a keg, and I've been happy with the carbonation level, I disconnect it and leave it chilled. If it's a little undercarbonated (i.e., I was drinking young beer...like I tend to do), I jack the pressure up to 30 psi before disconnecting.

If I'm force carbonating, I chill the keg, then jack the pressure up to 30 psi, REALLY shake the keg, disconnect it, and leave it chilled at 30 psi.

I've found that a half full cornie, at pressure, will not only hold pressure as long as you want, but it will allow you to dispense the brew without a tank. So long as it is kept cold, you're fine.

Back