Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Swingtops and tempature changes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Jhoussock
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Default Swingtops and tempature changes

About to blitchmann beer gun my first whole batch of beer and I have a quick question. I will be filling up swingtops and I know I will lose carbonation until the head space it filled. Will allowing the beer to warm to room temp and then bring back down to cold temps effect the carbonation. My guess is no as long as its sealed. However, wasn't sure if gas escapes when warmed then I have to wait for the beer to force carb itself once its colf again. I filled one bottle and let it sit about an hour in the fridge when I popped it carb was perfect but I wouldn't want it any less so wondering what will happen after they warm and cool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
br1dge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would refrigerate the bottles to bring them at or below the beer temps. Also put some gas in the bottles before you add the beer to help prevent oxidation.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Leithoa
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You want to bottle at the coldest possible temperature you can. You can dissolve more gas in colder liquids. If you do everything right and in a timely manner the amount of carbonation lost should be minimal. Remember that Le Methode Champenose uncaps the finished product before corking and Champagne is one of the most carbonated beverages around.
BierMuncher has an excellent thread on using a DIY beergun but the skills apply to commercial products. The ClifNotes version is put your bottles in the freezer an hour ahead and keep theh beer cold.

1°:Haphazard cyser, Graham's English Cider, Cider; Conditioning: Banana wine, Cider, Orange/Clover blossom mead, Cyser, JAOM, In like a Lion RIS ; Drinking: In like a Lion RIS; Mango Melomel

Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Best method for using the beergun is to increase the PSI on your keg a couple days ahead of time, I assume I'll lose about 0.2 volumes during the bottling process, so I overcarb by just about that much. Definitely chill the bottles, but storing them warm or cold after bottling, shouldn't matter, as long as you chill them down before serving.

Quick Reply