Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Super foam from bottles with minimal "aging"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
saxman1036
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Super foam from bottles with minimal "aging"

I've brewed about 50-some batches at this point, and along the way I have stashed some of these beers for extended "aging" just to see how they respond to time. Unfortunately, I haven't had much success with this. I haven't had any bottle bombs or anything, but nearly every one of these beers has been way overcarbed - as in, I have glass that is entirely foam and it will take me 30min to pour the whole bottle out. At first I thought I was using too much priming sugar, but the bottles are fine for the first two months. It's only after 2+ months that they get out of hand.

The strangest circumstance of this happening was with a vanilla imperial stout I bottled last october that I only used .5C of corn sugar for priming. I hammered through most of it before the new year, but wanting to save some, I kept a six pack in our 50deg basement. I figured that would be the perfect temp for storing these long term. But sure enough, last night I cracked one open and it foamed all over the place.

For what it's worth, I always use corn sugar and oxygen barrier caps for 5 gal batches.

Any thoughts? Is it possible that my bottles are consistently getting contaminated during bottling?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You have an infection. There's really minimal reasons why beer foams in bottles. Too much sugar, bottling too soon, opening too soon while the co2 hasn't been fully in solution, and an infection. That's really it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply