The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Super easy to twist off???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
xjiefx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Super easy to twist off???

Hey there,
I've got a question for you guys. I wanted to bottle my first apfelwein batch in some clear bottles. I bought a couple cases of sleeman's to drink and... keep the bottles. Those bottles are the twist-off kind. So, I drank all the beer and this morning was the time for me to bottle my Apfelwein. Did it and it went pretty well. Cleaned the bottles and dryed them with a dish cloth (I don't know if that is the good way to say that but in french, it is "Linge à vaisselle"). I wiped a couple of bottles and I twisted-off 1 bottle super easily. I tried another one and it was the same thing again. None of them are leaking but you can twist them off so easily that I'm scared that they won't be thightly sealed.

I used a bench capper with the right type of caps... Is that normal? Did it happen to anybody else out here? Do I need to RDWHAHB?

Thanks!

J-F!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't had it happen, but it does sound like you won't have a good seal.

Are you carbonating the Apfelwein? If you are you can put balloons on a few bottles and if they are leaking the balloons will start to fill up.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
xjiefx
Recipes 

Thanks Barley-Davidson,

That's a good idea. I put 2-3 balloons over bottles. I'm carbonating the apfelwein. How long will it take for the balloon to fill up you think???

Old 07-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have tested bottle by pouring soda in one, capping it, shaking it...you can pretty much tell if it isn't sealed. You can pop the top and tell if it is holding pressure.

Quick Reply