Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Stupidly effective keezer dessicant hack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1349 Times on 1091 Posts

Default Stupidly effective keezer dessicant hack

Even with a tight lid gasket and silicone sealant closing up the holes for the CO2 and the 12 volt feed to my tower cooler, when the humid season arrives my 10cf keezer is afflicted with puddled condensation that's a pita to mop up every few weeks. So I had picked up one of the popular Eva-Dry E-500 "dehumidifiers" in the hope that it would suck up the humidity.

I had emptied the keezer of all six kegs, dried it out to the proverbial bone, then reloaded it and set the E-500 in the middle of the keezer floor. But after just two weeks of use it was clear that it simply didn't work much if at all. The indicator showed the same blue color as it had when I took it out of the sealed package, and there were puddles beginning to form again.

After thinking a bit about this a bit, and realizing there was virtually no air movement within the keezer, I decided it would be worth a simple hack to see if I could improve the performance of the little beast by forcing air through it with a small 12v fan I had in my parts bin.

As there's an electric coil within the Eva-Dry that is used to heat up and dry out the desiccant, I didn't want to risk damaging that by driving screws into its case, so I used a piece of Velcro to stick an 80mm fan to one side of the case.

I daisy-chained the fan to the 12V feed to my tower cooler fan, set it back in the middle of the keezer floor, and waited to see what happened.

The result has been amazingly transformative: that 80mm fan really stirs the air inside the keezer and drives it right into the drier, and the keezer has remained puddle-free for three weeks now. As I was drawing a bed-time pint of my favorite Imperial Stout tonight I checked the indicator on the Eva-Dry and it was definitely turning pink, indicating it was doing its job.

So I figured I'd run the overnight drying cycle on it and take a couple of pics to post up here, in case anyone else has had a less than impressive experience with these little guys. A simple fan turned what was essentially a brick into something very useful indeed...

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Sounds like you may have solved your problem there. Good job.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Awesome, i'm going to try that out.

Edit: a couple thick rubber-bands work well to attach the fan (the adhesive velcro i had wasn't sticky enough).

I brew lots of beer.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Here to report back. After a day there are no signs of condensation in my keezer and the little crystals are now a faint pink. Normally it would would take weeks to for the unit to absorb that much water. Great thread!!

I brew lots of beer.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1349 Times on 1091 Posts

fwiw, I've found that this size Eva-Dry is good for ~5 ounces of moisture before its effectiveness falls off sharply. By the time the indicator is obviously "pink" it has absorbed at least four ounces of moisture (a half cup - not insubstantial) and pushing too much further in my case means seeing frozen beads to start appearing on the keezer walls.

But driven with the close-coupled fan it does work well, I have to say. Worth the investment for sure...

Cheers!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
dirkomatic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I know this is a couple of months old, but I'd like to report that this solved my issue as well. Nothing was working, I bought the Eva-Dry 500 (for $6 after using my saved up ebay bucks) and velcroed an 80mm fan to it as described in this post. After 8 hours, the humidity in my keezer went from 100% to 25%.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
jetskeez
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Will be giving this a try as soon as my eva-dry arrives. Plus it will help move air around, keeping the temp in my keezer more evenly distributed since I don't have a fan in there yet.

Quick Reply