Stupid Mistake #1 - Dry hopping in keg (pellets)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
Not sure what I was thinking...I added 1 oz of pellet hops to my corny keg thinking when I hooked it up it would just flush right out.

As obvious as it is now, it definitely won't work. Word of advice; if anyone out there isn't thinking as clearly as I wasn't...don't do it. The valves are the weak link in the chain.

Luckily I have spare kegs, I was able to rack the beer into it and it's hooked up now. :tank:

Thats funny, I did something similar but it turned out just fine. I put my hop pellets in a stainless steel tea ball and added a little gelatin. At first I got a few "chunks" in my beers but now its crystal clear and tastes AMAZING!

Thats funny, I did something similar but it turned out just fine. I put my hop pellets in a stainless steel tea ball and added a little gelatin. At first I got a few "chunks" in my beers but now its crystal clear and tastes AMAZING!

I just did this last night, minus the gelatin. THink I will have issues with just the tea ball?

I found the dry hops was getting stuck at the ball connection on the keg. I reversed the air flow for a second to clear it and it worked again. Had to do that 2 times but it all came out eventually.

I just did this last night, minus the gelatin. THink I will have issues with just the tea ball?

I doubt it. I ended up dropping the herb ball into my keg. It sucked cause I had to reach into some coooooooooold beer to get it back out. But it all came out delicious!
-Me

My intention was to leave it in the keg till the keg is kicked. ANy thoughts? Will it end up too grassy?

I'm concerned about the same thing, mine was in there for several weeks. I typically like to chill my keg for a week after hooking but maybe I can pull a pint this weekend and give you my feedback.

Keg lid - With tab welded on | MoreBeer

if you know someone who can weld SS you can get away with it costing less. i think there were some threads on here where someone did something like this as well. i could be wrong, but i've read somewhere that you can use fishing line to tie the SS ball you put your hops in and use a worm gear clamp around your pressure relief valve on the bottom of the lid. i've never tried any of these, i just started kegging and haven't dry hopped anything yet.

I've used a paint strainer with one of those food clips on the open end to dry hop in the keg. Left it there the whole time with no noticeable "grassy" flavors.

If you want to remove it, a cheap option would be to tie a piece of fishing line off to a magnet. Understanding that they don't always stick well to stainless, put another magnet on the outside of the lid to keep it all attached.

I've used a paint strainer with one of those food clips on the open end to dry hop in the keg. Left it there the whole time with no noticeable "grassy" flavors.

If you want to remove it, a cheap option would be to tie a piece of fishing line off to a magnet. Understanding that they don't always stick well to stainless, put another magnet on the outside of the lid to keep it all attached.

If you want to skip the magnets, unwaxed dental floss works great to tie around the outside handle. It doesn't affect the lid sealing in any way either

My intention was to leave it in the keg till the keg is kicked. ANy thoughts? Will it end up too grassy?

Ive read a couple of people who say that they leave their herb ball in the keg for the entire time they are drinking it. (With no ill effects)
-Me

Back