Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Stupid grolsch Questions...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
virus692
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 33
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stupid grolsch Questions...

So my friend bought a house and found some grolsch bottles in the basment... he gave them to me they are all 16 oz
7 brown ones
2 green ones
all have good glass and ceramic the wires are in good shape
they all just smell kind of musty and they need new gaskets


my questions:
Can I use them for bottleing?
How in the *explicit* do I get the nasty smell out?
Where can get new gaskets(no LHBS)?

__________________

VIrus 692-
Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of in·san·i·ty!
People should not be afraid of their governments,
governments should be afraid of their people.


Spoon fEeD A nOOb


Last edited by virus692; 02-22-2009 at 03:02 AM.
virus692 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
jjmeldrum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 34
Default

They should be perfect. I would just soak them in a cleaning solution for a couple hrs and see what that does. Make sure there is no crud or junk stuck inside the bottle. If there is you might have to use a bottle brush and soak the inside of the bottle. You can pick up the rubber (washers) at a local homebrew shop or purchase them online. I bought a bag with 20 or something for 2 bucks. They last a long time its worth it. Have fun brewing

__________________
jjmeldrum is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
culaslucas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 409
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus692 View Post
So my friend bought a house and found some grolsch bottles in the basment... he gave them to me they are all 16 oz
7 brown ones
2 green ones
all have good glass and ceramic the wires are in good shape
they all just smell kind of musty and they need new gaskets


my questions:
Can I use them for bottleing?
How in the *explicit* do I get the nasty smell out?
Where can get new gaskets(no LHBS)?
You can definitely use them for bottling. To get the smell out, soak them with Oxyclean Free and hot water for 24 hours - rinse out thoroughly.

You'll def want new gaskets - tons of places have them - 100 count for $7. Grolsh Gasket, red rubber like the originals 100 - Bottles by Stomp Them Grapes (my LHBS)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike
FEAR THE APFEL FOAM!!!!!!

Last edited by culaslucas; 02-22-2009 at 03:27 AM.
culaslucas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 AM   #4
llazy_llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,885
Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Yes, you can use them for bottling. Alternatively, you could just send them to me, because I would love to get a hold of some swing-tops. They don't sell Grolsch in anything but 12oz bottles here, and no swingers.

Fill them with water and oxyclean, let that soak for 24-48 hours. That should get the smell out.

You can get replacement gaskets from Midwest Supplies in 25 or 100 packs. Here's the page.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I would never use a dead mouse in my beer. It's much better to use live ones. You could probably just steep a dead one, but live ones must be mashed. Actually, smashed and mashed would be best.
llazy_llama is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #5
virus692
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 33
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Yes, you can use them for bottling. Alternatively, you could just send them to me, because I would love to get a hold of some swing-tops. They don't sell Grolsch in anything but 12oz bottles here, and no swingers.

Fill them with water and oxyclean, let that soak for 24-48 hours. That should get the smell out.

You can get replacement gaskets from Midwest Supplies in 25 or 100 packs. Here's the page.
I will send you 1 if you want to send me Edwart Applewine... the bottle I send you would contain Maine Sailboat Fuel.
__________________

VIrus 692-
Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of in·san·i·ty!
People should not be afraid of their governments,
governments should be afraid of their people.


Spoon fEeD A nOOb

virus692 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
culaslucas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 409
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus692 View Post
I will send you 1 if you want to send me Edwart Applewine... the bottle I send you would contain Maine Sailboat Fuel.

I am totally down with this! Senor Llama doesn't really want your Grolsch anyway. My Apfelwein is far superior to his!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike
FEAR THE APFEL FOAM!!!!!!
culaslucas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
Nikobrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Nikobrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 618
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Default

these bottles are invaluable! My LHBS has a guy get them from a bar and she sells them for $1 apiece at her shop. They're a great size, look awesome and are fun to play with when getting buzzed.. oh yeah and they look cool :P I usually just run them through the dishwasher upside down (found out recently its a good idea to remove the clip part when in the wash.. dont know if it matters a ton maybe rust at some point?).. I figure thats how I wash dishes I eat from and drink out of.

EDIT: I didn't realize the smell factor..one dishwasher run may not cut it.

__________________

Hops and other goodies for sale! Flat rate $5 shipping store wide! So go ahead, throw in some more hops.. Why not? :P

http:/www.NikoBrew.com

"Samsonite, I was WAY off!" -- Lloyd Christmas


Last edited by Nikobrew; 02-22-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Nikobrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 03:53 AM   #8
llazy_llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,885
Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culaslucas View Post
I am totally down with this! Senor Llama doesn't really want your Grolsch anyway. My Apfelwein is far superior to his!!!!!!!!!!!
Heh, it's all yours. I'm a little OCD when it comes to bottling... my bottles have to match. There's just something sexy about a nice row of 50 Guinness bottles all filled with HB.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I would never use a dead mouse in my beer. It's much better to use live ones. You could probably just steep a dead one, but live ones must be mashed. Actually, smashed and mashed would be best.
llazy_llama is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm stupid, stupid, stupid!! - Froze my keezer jldc Bottling/Kegging 10 02-07-2014 01:59 PM
Stupid Quotes by your Stupid Boss (or co-worker) BierMuncher General Chit Chat 65 04-18-2012 07:29 PM
Stupid auto siphon, stupid keg, stupid hobby..... Ceedubya Bottling/Kegging 13 05-19-2009 05:50 AM
Stupid questions.... Tink Cider Forum 12 11-09-2008 05:54 PM
while i'm asking stupid questions.... drvodka Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 09-08-2005 08:36 PM