Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Stuck Regulator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default Stuck Regulator

My regulator is stuck. Luckily, I manhandled it from 0 back up to 6 or 7 psi so that I can still dispense. But I can't force carb or seal up my kegs. And I can't adjust it from the 6-7psi that it's currently seized up at.

Can I buy just the black regulator bit (detached, shown above) without buying the whole body? Anyone got some good links for it?

I don't want to have to shell out $50 for a whole new body, gauge, and all.

Also, anyone had theirs seize up before? Thoughts on what caused it / how to prevent it? I've only had my tank since... January maybe? February? I bought the regulator used from the fire supply store, but it was "used" because they installed it, knocked the tank over, and cracked the plastic lens, so they switched it out for another new one. It hadnt actually been used for any period of time.

Thoughts? Suggestions? (I'm sure Sciplus probably has them right there, with my luck. I *always* fail at searching Sciplus, I always use the wrong search terms. I know about the 36807 CO2 SPLITTER but from what I understand, that's not a primary regulator, right? That just goes inline to add 2, 3, 4 more on the end? Or is that actually what I need, and I'm just a idiot?)

Edit: It fell apart. After looking at the pieces (they make so much sense now!) it is JUST the body that is broken. The screw has seized inside of the body, all the other parts seem to be Okay.

Any sources on just a screw & body?
(that sounds dirty. )

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
davebl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check northern brewer. i believe I saw rebuild kits for regulators there once.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
mmb
FNG

Recipes 

Liked 3151 Times on 3058 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebl View Post
Check northern brewer. i believe I saw rebuild kits for regulators there once.
Rebuild kits are usually just the diaphragm and o-rings needed to rebuild the internals of the regulator body.

OP: I've not seen replacement body shells, unfortunately.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

http://www.simgo.com/regulato2.htm has (11) 07-3122, Cover Assembly Kit but they're up in Canada... trying to find one locally... but it appears that it is, theoretically, possible to buy just the body! Still searching....

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
mmb
FNG

Recipes 

Liked 3151 Times on 3058 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Depends what type of regulator it is I suppose.

I'd drop MicroMatic a line and see if they can get it for you. Might save on the time spent searching for one.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

This problem seems to be wide-spread. I suspect it is due to steel screws in aluminum regulator bodies. Put that combination in a moist environment & corrosion is certain. Removing the screw and coating it with an anti-seize compound might be a wise move for anyone with this arrangement.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Cornelius brand dual gauge. I'll try emailing Micromatic... I just sent Simgo an email too.
Thanks for the tip, David, I'll be sure to do that on the new body, if/when I find it.
I'll probably go to the fire supply store I got it from, today, to check if they have spares or other broken reg's I can take the part from or something.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Cornelius #183233059 - Cover Regulator Black is the part. Now, I just have to find a source. Hmm.

Time to call the local guys. They might have one.

cornelius-183233059.jpg  

Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

If you can get the screw out by placing the cover in a soft jaw vice then tap the hole and run a die over the screw. if you keep your tank in the keezer then it is probably corroded, or maybe the nut got tighten down and pulled the threads in the housing or stretched the screw. The A.S.S. regs are round covers not square, but they do have primary ports for tank pressure gauges. they are rated at 1800 psi, but that might be just the housing. The only difference I can see between primary and secondary is the spring rate on the diaphragm. I believe the safety valves are the same.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
This problem seems to be wide-spread. I suspect it is due to steel screws in aluminum regulator bodies. Put that combination in a moist environment & corrosion is certain. Removing the screw and coating it with an anti-seize compound might be a wise move for anyone with this arrangement.
This is definitely the problem. condensation on the screw and body corrodes and locks up the screw. The fix is simple enough. Everyone should pull the screw completely out of the body and coat the threads with either anti-sieze or graphite powder. NO SPRAY ON LUBRICANTS OR OILS THAT WILL DRIP ONTO THE INTERIOR PIECES OF THE REGULATOR PLEASE!!! If you don't have any of the items I mentioned on hand, just use a pencil. Rub the "lead" all over the threads to lube them up. You'll be amazed at how much easier that screw turns

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Quick Reply