The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > stuck GG keg!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
BasementBrewHaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default stuck GG keg!?!?

I recently aquired two Golden Gate Kegs that I would like to use for cask conditioning and serving. I have the taps and new gaskets. Issue being, I cannot figure how to get the threaded retainer ring off in order to sanitize. Do I need a special tool? I s'pose I could fabricate one, but rather have proper tool, if one even exists. It must! Why can I not find one anywhere?? Also the bung is wood and wont come out. Is this due to swelling? Would a cork or rubber bung be an acceptable replacement? Thanks yall

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Does your keg look like this?

Those are McMenamin's kegs, and they use Golden Gate. As far as I know, those rings don't come off, and all cleaning and such is done through the bunghole. (lol) That wooden bung is usually broken off and another one is installed after beer has been put back in. A rubber bung may be OK, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Also look up Hoff-Stevens kegs, they are similarly made.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply