Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Strong carbonated water taste.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Bulldog5874
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strong carbonated water taste.

Last night I opted to skip bottleing and keg my first batch of beer. I racked my porter into the corny, making sure not to expose it to excess oxygen. I purged the air out of it and let it pressurize at 20 psi while i shook it a bit.

Being my first batch of brew and the first time using a keg i started tasting it and fiddling a bit. the beer tasted great, and the carbonation seed good, so i set the regulator to 10psi and stuck the tank and keg in the fridge.

Being the anxious fellow i am, i kept sneaking sips of it throughout the night and noticed a carbonated water taste creeping into the beer. Before bed i unhooked the tank and left the pressure in the keg. This morning the carbonated water taste was stronger than ever.

Did i overcabonate? What do i do to fix? please help.

I did use the search button for this first but didnt quite find the info i needed.

I think my pressure gauge might be off a little.

thanks, ryan

Last edited by Bulldog5874; 08-28-2007 at 12:54 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's just not done yet. You're really just tasting carbonic acid and smelling CO2 that is easily coming out of solution at this point. Wait a week.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Bulldog5874
Recipes 

thanks bobby, the taste is starting to go away as the co2 is absorbing more and more.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

this is why purists force carb at a low psi for a week rather than rapidly carbing.

just because its carb'd...its still green beer that needs to condition and age to reach its peak flavor.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
this is why purists force carb at a low psi for a week rather than rapidly carbing. just because its carb'd...its still green beer that needs to condition and age to reach its peak flavor.
So, what ill effect, if any, will conditioning and aging your kegs for a couple of weeks/months THEN gassing and shaking a keg (for quick carbing) do?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I wouldn't expect any ill effect, other than the same carbonic acid flavor dominating the beer if its rapidly carb'd, unless you wait a day or so for it to really meld into the liquid.

I guess I didn't word my post well...what I meant was going directly from secondary to chilling and rapid carbing the keg, instead of letting it rest at room temp a couple of weeks to condition.

Which of course doesn't have anything to do with rapid force carbing and the carbonic acid taste.
Really the point was "why rush the carbing when the keg needs to mellow out a bit anyways?"

you were right to question my comment

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Bulldog5874
Recipes 

Thanks for the info, after a day and a half, the beer tastes a lot better. now ill
wait a few more days before i really drink it. it was a brewer's best robust porter
kit, and at the last minute i put a tablespoon of vanilla extract and 3/4 tablespoon
of rasberry extract in it. so far it tastes pretty good but after a week of conditioning ill be anxious to see how the flavors blend together.

Quick Reply