The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Strange findings in my bottles? Contamination?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
TalesSpin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strange findings in my bottles? Contamination?

I've brewed a honey ale using cascade and spaaz hops and a pilsner yeast. I've just bottle it...this last Monday I believe.

I just took a glance at the bottles to see how they're clearing up (the bottles are brown mind you) and when held to the light I notice a blackish, very fine silt-like substance clinging to the sides of the bottles in the slightly embossed floral embellishments. If I tilt the bottles the silt substance moves but then mostly returns, but if I twist the bottle like a wrench back and forth, the silt breaks away and slowly settles.

This is only my 2nd beer, and the first being a stout I may just have just not been able to see this before. There is sediment in the bottom of the bottles, as would be expected.

Is this "clingy" silt normal? Could it just be the yeast still ever so slowly settling? Or, is this just a natural clearing up process? Thanks for y'all's expertise!

EDIT: Pictures added in post below*

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Eh that's not a terribly difficult photo to get. Give it a shot (PUN!)

I've seen what I believe you are describing. Not exactly sure what it is (yeast? protein? dunno) but beers that I've seen that on turned out fine. Just try a bottle a two or three weeks and look for flavors/smells that would indicate an infection. But also be aware that some infections take a looong time to get going.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
TalesSpin
Recipes 

He shoots....he PUNS!

Thanks for the reply. I shouldered your encouragement well and took a few pics (most were deleted!). While not a true Tyndall effects as the particles are not quite colloidal, the flashlight does highlight the suspended particles well enough - I hope. First pic = undisturbed; 2nd pic = after spinning a few times.

Cheers!

((P.S. I had to throw the Tyndall thing in there because I realized it might have been the only thing I remembered from organic chemistry those years ago and it made me feel young and smart again; thanks for enduring its mention.))

100_3173.jpg   100_3175.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
webos1
Recipes 

Default Update?

I have this same thing going on with a raspberry wheat, how did these turn out for you?

Old 04-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
No1ukno
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Don't know what it is seen it in my bottles and in my secondary carboy around the little indentations. It usually fell out in my bottles during conditioning.

Quick Reply