Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Straight bottling sugar vs sugar boiled in water for bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
ianmatth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Straight bottling sugar vs sugar boiled in water for bottling

In the past I have always saved a little bit of my wort for bottling. My last batch where I did that was an IPA with a gravity of ~1.060. It ended up being plenty carbonated after a week in 22 oz bottles and more carbonated than I wanted it to if I let it go any longer than that. I've decided to go with corn sugar or cane sugar at this point and did a calculation that said I should use about 10g to 20g per gallon for an IPA to get between 1.5-2.3 volume of CO2 (no wonder my IPA was over carbonated). I split my last batch into a couple of 1.5 L glass bottles for secondary fermentation to do an experiment with dry hopping, so I am looking to get 5 12 oz bottles out of each of those.

My question is how much of a difference will there be if I make a wort with the sugar vs just adding 1g-2g of straight sugar in each bottle. If I go with the straight sugar, I can do 5 iterations of say 1g, 1.25g, 1.5g, 1.75g, and 2g for the 5 beers so I can really figure out what level gives the proper carbonation. Otherwise I'm forced to pick a concentration and make a wort from the sugar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
ianmatth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I actually did an experiment with this for my last beer. Adding the sugar straight works, but I think making a wort works better, as it seemed to carbonate faster and maybe even had better carbonation for the same amount of sugar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply