Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > A sticky situation with carbonation...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
grainstoglass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A sticky situation with carbonation...

I just bottled a delicious batch of pale ale this weekend and thought everything had gone smoothly until I tasted the last 6 ounces or so of beer that was left beind in my bottling bucket. The remaining beer was super sweet and clearly loaded with my priming sugar. A glance at the bottom of the bucket confirmed my fear that it appears my priming sugar solution did not mix well and was more viscous than usual. After reflection I realized I may have boiled off more of the water than usual as I was busy sanitizing some bottles. What are my options now and what should I expect as far as carbonation is concerned? Anyone have any tips if I need to re-prime?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I wouldn't until you know for sure that you have an issue. A lot of folks think this because they taste their sweet beer and panic. You'd be surprised how much sugar you really have in the beer. Besides, since you have no way to calculate how much is in there, re-priming will more than likely lead to a bottle bomb issue.

Wait 4 weeks to make sure you have a problem BEFORE you consider adding any more fermentables in there.

Trying to "fix" something that may not be an issue COULD become a different, and worse issue entirely.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
grainstoglass
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I wouldn't until you know for sure that you have an issue. A lot of folks think this because they taste their sweet beer and panic. You'd be surprised how much sugar you really have in the beer. Besides, since you have no way to calculate how much is in there, re-priming will more than likely lead to a bottle bomb issue.

Wait 4 weeks to make sure you have a problem BEFORE you consider adding any more fermentables in there.

Trying to "fix" something that may not be an issue COULD become a different, and worse issue entirely.
I agree completely. I am not going to touch it for awhile, I guess I am already trying to prepare myself for a major lack of carbonation after 3 or 4 weeks of bottle conditionaing and wondering what steps I should take at that point.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You would add more sugar then. Priming tabs would probably be the easiest method.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply