Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sterile bulb syringes to start siphons

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
sailWickedFast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sterile bulb syringes to start siphons

I just picked up one of those sterile bulb syringes for $4 from Amazon to start a siphon. It works very well. I was trying to think of something cheap that would provide suction since I didn't want to spend another $15 after picking up a Midwest basic kit, recipe and bottles Just bottled my first 5-gallon batch of nut brown ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Cool, I'm glad it works for you! My solution, which never resulted in an infection, was to take apart a Bic pen, insert the middle plastic casing bit (sanitized) into the end of my tubing, and suck start it with my goddam mouth. Worked like a charm. Now I use BrewCraft fermentation buckets with valves (well cleaned) on them... easier. Cheers!

Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
sailWickedFast
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Cool, I'm glad it works for you! My solution, which never resulted in an infection, was to take apart a Bic pen, insert the middle plastic casing bit (sanitized) into the end of my tubing, and suck start it with my goddam mouth. Worked like a charm. Now I use BrewCraft fermentation buckets with valves (well cleaned) on them... easier. Cheers!
Nice! Yep, ingenuity and brewing have gone together since the beginning of time. Gotta get the brews flowing no matter what

Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
I do the same thing, but I use a sanitized plastic turkey baster. I insert the tapered end into the tube, and suck on the other end. Once I have the tubing filled, I remove the baster and let it flow...

Quick Reply