*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Starting siphon with mouth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
williamo123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starting siphon with mouth

Question, I have an 8 gallon pot, can I fill this pot with StarSan start a siphon with my mouth, then let the parts of the tubing/racking cane to have contact with the beer stay in contact with the StarSan solution for 5 mins, and then move the cane into the beer to siphon into bottling tank without a high chance contamination??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
zuesy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Buy an auto-siphon. Best $10 you'll spend.

Not trying to flippant, but it's totally worth it.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have started a siphon by month a few times when I had no other choice and never had an issue. What I do now when I can’t use my auto siphon is just soak the hose in starsan for a few minutes then with the hose full of starsan pick the hose up by both ends at the same time so the sanitizer doesn’t drain out of the hose. Then stick one end into the beer and drop the other end into your bucked or whatever your transferring to and the starsan will drain out pulling the beer along with it. You can just let the starsan drain in the bucket with the beer or start to drain in a 2nd bucket until the beer pushes the cleaner out and then move the hose to your bottling bucket or other. If you have a line T you can create a auto siphon with a little extra hose and a “T”. Someone here posted a thread on how to make one.

shat happens

Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

here you go.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/flyg...osiphon-25774/

shat happens

Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've been doing mouth siphon for over a year without issues. I really need to get an autosiphon. I sanitize the tubing of course.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Monty420th
Recipes 

auto-siphon, only way to go...once you get it you will wonder why you didn't think of it before

Primary 1 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 2 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 3 - IPA
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal

Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 378

does nobody know how to start a siphon using the regular method?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
does nobody know how to start a siphon using the regular method?
This is a pretty decent video, I use a similar method that utilizes the same principle:

Practice a couple times just racking water between two buckets - once you've got it down do it for real with your beer. Starting a siphon the right way is easy - there's no reason to suck on the end of the hose.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
TopDog
Recipes 

I've been in situations where I had no choice but to siphon by mouth. What works for me is to take a good mouthful of bourbon, vodka, scotch, or whatever is within reach and swish it around like mouthwash. I do this BEFORE starting the siphon. Theory is it kills off a lot of the stuff in your mouth. Whether it does or not, haven't had an infection on the batches I've done this on.

Brew like your head's on fire.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

The siphon hose that is connected to my SS racking cane is 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD. So I just use a short piece of 1/2" ID tubing and slip it over the 3/8" tubing while still in Starsan. Then to start the siphon I just start it by mouth (on the 1/2" tubing), clamp the end of the 3/8" tubing with a tubing clamp, separate the two pieces, put end of tubing into keg, release tubing clamp and let it rip. The tubing clamp also allows me to 'grab' the 3/8" tubing without touching the tubing itself.

I do that whole operation over a big pot with a plastic 1 qt. measuring cup inside. There will often be a little spillage when separating the pieces so the pot catches that, then I run the hydrometer sample into the quart measuring cup, then over to the keg.

I have two auto-siphons and never use either of them. Creature of habit I guess.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply