Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Started my kegerator setup... pics of the progress...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
IanIanBoBian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Started my kegerator setup... pics of the progress...

Well I started working on it Friday. I'm sick of bottling, and I got the fridge for free, so I figured I'd go for it. I ordered a lot of the stuff from micro matic and bought the rest at my LHBS. The fridge is going in the basement and I'm going to run the lines up the laundry chute and mount my taps in the kichen (I love being a single guy with my own house lol).

Here's the fridge with the hole drilled in the side. I had to peel it back a little after i realized that 2 inch PVC means the inner diameter is 2 inches. DUH! No way I could use a bigger hole saw on the metal after the first hole was drilled. This works for me though, since it will be covered up.

Here's my homemade trunk cable with copper cooling lines. The kind you can buy online is way too expensive, so I figured I'd make my own. I got insulation from Lowe's that is meant for copper pipe. I put my three hoses and the copper line inside the insulation, and put that all in he 2 inch PVC.

Here's the 2 inch PVC running up through the laundry chute, into the kitchen.

And last for now, the PVC all put together into the fridge. I sealed the hole with some duct-seal. I did the same thing on the inside as well. Should keep it pretty well insulated.

Last edited by IanIanBoBian; 04-06-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
IanIanBoBian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

All the beer lines hooked up, and the gas lines hooked up. I'm keeping the CO2 tank outside, so I still need to drill a hole for that. I also need to build a little shelf in the bottom of the fridge to get the one keg a little further back.

My new door that I made. Saving the old one in case I ever sell the house and want to take the fridge and everything with me. EDIT: Notice the apple juice for Apfelwein and the dog biscuits made from spent grain LOL.

The door put on. You can see the lines and the copper cooling line. I would like to have the cooling line wrapped around the shanks, but then It would be too stiff and I wouldn't be able to open and close the door, which I obviously have to be able to do. Hopefully this will keep everything cool enough.

And the door painted. It's acually the wrong color lol. My upstairs hallway is really close to this color, and I grabbed the wrong can lol. Oh well, it needed a second coat anyways. That's where I'm at right now. My perlick faucets should be in this week. Ordered a stainless drip tray tonight. Everything is coming together pretty nice. I still need to find a bucket for the cooling water in the fridge. Something tall and skinny would be ideal, since space is tight in the fridge. I'll have to look around and try to find something.

I'll update any progress! Thanks for looking.

Last edited by IanIanBoBian; 04-06-2009 at 06:14 AM.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cool setup! My friend wants to do this, but just up through the floor into his kitchen from the basement. Got a few questions:

1. What length is that run up the chute
2. What liquid are you using for the coolant?
3. What are you using to push the coolant?

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Looking good! I think you posted before about this- about an 8ft run, right?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
IanIanBoBian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ended up being a little more than 8 feet, so that I have enough slack to pull the kegs out of the fridge. Since it's 1/4 inch line, I think I'll be fine. If not, I can always shorten it. It's always easier to make it shorter than it is to make it longer.

I'm just going to use water for the cooling. Seems like other people have had luck using just water, and it isn't a long run, so I think it will work well enough. Just going to throw a pond pump in a bucket to move the water. I'm thinking about trying the bucket in the freezer. It would save me room, and cool better if it didn't freeze. Not sure if the movement from the pump would keep it from freezing or not though.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
NoneRequired
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIanBoBian View Post
I'm just going to use water for the cooling. Seems like other people have had luck using just water, and it isn't a long run, so I think it will work well enough. Just going to throw a pond pump in a bucket to move the water. I'm thinking about trying the bucket in the freezer. It would save me room, and cool better if it didn't freeze. Not sure if the movement from the pump would keep it from freezing or not though.
RV Anti-Freeze in the bucket in the fridge would probably work great... It wouldn't freeze. It's pretty cheap too...

Old 04-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneRequired View Post
RV Anti-Freeze in the bucket in the fridge would probably work great... It wouldn't freeze. It's pretty cheap too...
Plus, you could store the cooling reservoir in the freezer and it would be able to get much colder than 32.

Nevermind... didn't read all the other posts before responding. Carry on.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #8
IanIanBoBian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

well I'm about 90% done. still trying to get my pressure set right so I don't get a foamy pour, but still get good flow from the faucets. I get a pretty good pour right now, but it seems like there is air in my lines or something. Every time I pour a beer, it takes a couple seconds to start, and it spits and foams for a couple seconds before it starts flowing well. I also need to get a better pump for my cooling lines, since the one I got now isn't strong enough. Here's some more pics.

Lines all hooked up and insulated.

Faucets, trim rings, and drip tray all installed. Almost done!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 02:23 AM   #9
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That is AWESOME! Good job

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! - The Dude

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #10
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you ever sell your house you will have to send the women's away and show the "MAN" the in Kitchen TAP'S!

Consider the house SOLD!

Quick Reply