New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Start-up Kegging Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
illin8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Start-up Kegging Kit

I was told last night that a Fathers Day gift is in order and I would like to venture into the world of kegging. I'm looking for some advice from the experienced as to which way I should go. Should I just buy one of the 1 or 2 corny keg kits from any one of the online vendors or should I try to piece it together myself? I realize there could be some cost savings in getting a CO2 tank locally, but what about the rest of the equipment? I'd also (probably) like to expand into a multiple keg system & keezer eventually, would the kit equipment prevent me from doing so? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
A4J
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would get the 2 corny kit from midwest supplies with the CO2 tank. They have the cheapest price I've found. That's what I did and actually, I just bought 2 more kegs from them.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can you expand off of it easily? Did you have to buy any additional parts or replace/upgrade any of them to add the additional kegs? Picnic faucets or taps?

Quote:
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
BrewinRob
Recipes 

I kinda pieced my setup together. Just because I found a couple local suppliers. I would definitely go for at least 2 kegs. I found 4 on ebay for $100 with free shipping. I guess the amount of kegs all depends on how much you brew. I can normally keep all 4 full (and have some in bottles) with 10 gal batches every few weeks. Keep in mind sometimes you can find a sweeter deal on Craigslist. I've heard of some serious scores from Craigslist. I picked up my regulator online, but my CO2 tank I got from the local beverage vending supplier and hoses, taps, clamps etc from my local homebrew store. It's pretty easy to expand once you get the basic kit - like the ones at midwest or morebeer

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7738

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18190/102298/Basic_Homebrew_Draft_System

To expand, put in a gas manifold and add picnic tap for each keg (if that's what you want to use). A more elaborate setup would be to get the through fridge shanks for each keg and a gas manifold/splitter or a tower with taps if you are making a mini kegerator. The possibilities are endless. It all depends on what you are working with.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16265//Faucet_Knob_And_Shank_Combo

Don't forget, you'll probably need an extra fridge too. Believe me - it's all worth it.

Last edited by BrewinRob; 06-05-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Still confused if I should do a kit or piece it together...what about the CO2 cylinder, is it better to find one local?

Quote:

Old 06-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
jamescb77
Recipes 

i have been looking around and unless you find one on CL i would get the one from midwest get the 2 keg setup it's pretty sweet deal and most likely what im going to go with. that's my 2 cents also yes you can expand on them

Primary 1:air
Primary 2:air
Secondary:Air
Bottled: air
Up Next:not really sure
Enjoying:AIR:(
working on upgrading to electric if someone would liek to brew me some i would be more than happy to pay for all the ingredients and come help out. Let me know if your near Vincennes Indiana

Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think a kit is the way to go if you have not kegged before. To expand the kit in the future is pretty easy, you just need more taps, kegs, lines, and a CO2 manifold. A lot of people get the kit from Midwest. I bought a kit from Kegconnection. If you find a good deal locally for a CO2 tank then just drop the tank from the kit. Try a welding supply store to check prices on CO2.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Quick Reply