Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Splitting a 1/2BBL into Cornys

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Splitting a 1/2BBL into Cornys

Has anyone ever done this?
There is a commercial beer I'd like to buy but only available in the 1/2BBL size, and don't want to sacrifice space in my keg cooler for a full 1/2BBL.

I imagine that with the right fittings, that you'd be able to do this. Foaming likely problematic even if you attempted to counter-pressure fill, but since you can force-carb after the fact, as long as you don't make a mess no problemo.

Did a search but didn't see any relevant results.

TD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you have the keg coupler already, make up a line (3/16" ID) to go from the liquid side to the liquid post on your corny keg. Purge the pressure from the source keg so that it's lower, and then connect up to the liquid post on the destination keg. You'll probably want to remove the lid from the corny keg (purge it with CO2 first) so you can watch the level. Then have three corny kegs on hand to fill from the 1/2 barrel keg. At most, you could need a few psi of pressure to push the beer from the source keg. I wouldn't use more than 5psi to do the transfer.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Thanks! I will keep this in mind. The distributor had a keg of Stone Anniv. Arr. Bastard, but my retailer was on vacation, and by the time he returned, the keg had sold....

Good info though - sounds much akin to counter pressure bottling procedure...

TD

Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's easiest to just attach all three kegs together. From sanke to out post then in post to the next out post, etc. Just have to vent the third keg.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
It's easiest to just attach all three kegs together. From sanke to out post then in post to the next out post, etc. Just have to vent the third keg.
So you're changing out the gas post on the middle corny keg to a liquid post and putting a cut dip tube into it? IME/IMO, bad idea. Unless you have a spare liquid dip tube you can cut down really short. I've transferred carbonated beer from one keg to a smaller keg (to bring to a gathering) without issue. Use a small amount of pressure to do the transfer, vent the receiving keg (I pulled the lid to make sure I wouldn't fill too far) and the source keg, and then do the push. Filling from the bottom of the receiving keg makes a huge difference.

BTW, it's really easy to just change the keg it's filling with my method. When one corny is full, just disconnect the liquid side (from the keg being filled) and put it onto the next one. I do that every time I fill my kegs from fermenting vessel anyway.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
bellmtbbq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

what about buying a 1/6th sankey keg? Most microbreweries use them and they are like 5.125 gallons.

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You need a spunding valve to reduce foaming in the kegs that are receiving the beer from the other keg, and need to purge air from all kegs with cO2. Otherwise, it will lose cO2 from the beer, and oxidize due to oxygen exposure. Speaking from experience here...

Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 952 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
I believe JRems means beer goes out from sankey to the out on the first corny, then from gas in or corny to out of 2nd, repeat for third and then purge pressure from third that way when the first is filled it starts filling the second, then third. That way they are in series, and you do not have to mess with things.

In this case, though you really want to be sure that you have purged the receiving kegs. You would need two corny liquid to gas jumpers, and one for sankey to corny. (3 beer out, 2 gas in, and one sankey connectors)

Quick Reply