*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Something is on the bottom of my bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
NativeSun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Something is on the bottom of my bottle

My 2nd brew ever isn't like my first :-(. I bottled the beer last week and I may have bottled it early. I didn't take a SG but took a FG of 1.030. My first brew was at the same gravity and it tastes great. When I looked at the bottles recently I saw a yellowish film on the bottom. I opened one of the bottles and there was barely any carbonation, so the pressure is fine I assume? Will this effect my final product? Should I leave it bottled for longer?

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The bottle of your bottle?

The layer at the bottom is just yeast settling out. This is perfectly normal for bottle conditioned beer, and once it's carbonated and been chilling in the fridge for a week+, it should complact nice and tight so that you don't end up with too much of it in your glass when you pour it.

As far as the FG goes, 1.030 is really really high. If your first beer had the same FG reading and doesn't taste syrupy sweet, then your hydrometer is likely off. Have you calibrated your hydrometer recently? What kind of beer is it, and do you have the recipe? Have you tasted it? If you didn't bottle early, and you added the priming sugar, it will carb up fine if you wait long enough, a minimum of 3 weeks at 70°. If you did bottle too early, you might have ticking time bombs on your hands.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

A FG of 1.030 is way too high. Something is not right here. Generally the minimum waiting time after bottling is two weeks, 3-4 is better. There probably isnt any carbonation because you just bottled them.

I'd be very worried about them exploding since you bottled at 1.030. What was your expected SG on the recipe? Did you prime the bottles with sugar or just cap them?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
NativeSun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore
The bottle of your bottle?

The layer at the bottom is just yeast settling out. This is perfectly normal for bottle conditioned beer, and once it's carbonated and been chilling in the fridge for a week+, it should complact nice and tight so that you don't end up with too much of it in your glass when you pour it.

As far as the FG goes, 1.030 is really really high. If your first beer had the same FG reading and doesn't taste syrupy sweet, then your hydrometer is likely off. Have you calibrated your hydrometer recently? .
I have not calibrate it. It's the glass one I thought it would be ready out of box. My first beer didnt taste syrupy at all, quite smooth actually and refreshing. This is the first time I'm seeing a big settling of stuff on the bottom of the bottle.

I am worried about the explosions so I checked a bottle. Finger crossed nothing goes wrong because I suck at reading my hydrometer.

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
NativeSun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblankenship11
A FG of 1.030 is way too high. Something is not right here. Generally the minimum waiting time after bottling is two weeks, 3-4 is better. There probably isnt any carbonation because you just bottled them.

I'd be very worried about them exploding since you bottled at 1.030. What was your expected SG on the recipe? Did you prime the bottles with sugar or just cap them?
The recipe came in a kit, not sure of the exact ingredients:

Grains
Fuggle and cascade hops
Cinnamon stick, ginger, nutmeg
Priming sugar
1.5 liters of amber (dark,amber)

SG was at 1.062-068 but I didn't take the reading because I forgot and its supposed to be at 1.012-018? I know I'm very far off and plan on remaking this recipe with my own ingredients with the attached ingredients. Lemme know what you think?

Thanks for the feedback. I know I need to check the gravity reading more. What if the reading isn't where it should be after the boil?
image-2167689297.jpg  

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
brewinginnc
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

The sg is usually only far off when mashing grain. If it was an extract brew it was probably pretty close. Check those brews every few days until the carbonation is where you want it and put them in the fridge. This should prevent bombs. But dont take them back out or they could explode. I did that with one of my first batches and swmbo was not happy about when 2 swing top 32oz exploded in a cabinet above the kitchen sink.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 125

6 lbs of dark extract, 3.3 lbs of amber extract, and 5 lbs of C80???? No wonder it finished at 1.030!

Don't take this the wrong way, but it might be better to stick to recipe kits at this point and focus on the process. As you brew more you'll start to become more familiar with the ingredients, and then you can start reading up on recipe formulation.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
NativeSun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack
6 lbs of dark extract, 3.3 lbs of amber extract, and 5 lbs of C80???? No wonder it finished at 1.030!
I didn't make that recipe With C80. The 6 lbs and 3.3 lbs of malt was for the recipe kit i purchased. So I was going to copy some pieces of the recipe and mix some of my own grains

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I would like to second zachattack in sticking to proven recipes. Also recommend reading How to brew and or some of the stickies on this forum.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
NativeSun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is the newest reading from the hydrometer. Still strong at 1.030 and I'm hearing a fizz of carbonation. Even in the sampling container bubbles are rising. I tasted it and it does have a bit to much carbon at first taste. What's going on their?

image-436131954.jpg  

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Quick Reply