So I need feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_ale_scale

Reaction score
I thought I had a great idea to save money, I went to a local bar and got used bottles for free. Then I realized that they are all twist off's so they may not work. So my next great idea is can I use these twist off bottles if I wax the caps on?

The standard line is that you cannot bottle with twist-off bottles, as they won't form a perfect seal and will eventually leak out all the CO2. That said, I've heard of people doing it successfully, so try it at your own risk. Personally, I wouldn't risk a batch on something that's known to have issues. Just get some pry-off bottles (or, preferably, switch to kegging).

I tried this with 12 bottles out of a batch. I used the Red Baron Butterfly Capper and all 12 sealed without issue and tasted just like those with the pry off caps.

Having said that, most of the commercial beer I drink are pry off and saving those bottles cost me nothing, either (I don't count them as cost as I would have purchased the beer anyway).

The last thing I wanted was to rely on the twist offs for ease of opening just to find a non-carbonated batch of beer.

The standard line is that you cannot bottle with twist-off bottles, as they won't form a perfect seal and will eventually leak out all the CO2. That said, I've heard of people doing it successfully, so try it at your own risk. Personally, I wouldn't risk a batch on something that's known to have issues. Just get some pry-off bottles (or, preferably, switch to kegging).

The lack of seal and loss of CO2 is why I figured I'd just wax over the caps, theoretically the wax will create an air tight seal won't it? And thank you everyone for the feedback

The lack of seal and loss of CO2 is why I figured I'd just wax over the caps, theoretically the wax will create an air tight seal won't it? And thank you everyone for the feedback

I wouldn't count on the wax being able to hold the pressure. You need more than just an air tight seal, it needs to be able to hold the forces of bottle carbbing.

How much are bottles where you're at? Seems like a lot to go through just to save a few bucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've had so-so luck with twisties and my bench capper. Some work, others don't seem to work very well. I went to a local upscale bar and eatery and for a while they let me rummage through their recycling before it was picked up. got a lot of good Stella bottles, probably about a case and half worth of usable bottles from a couple weeks savaging. Got tired of dumpster diving and decided the best way to buy bottles is to buy them full of a style I want to learn more about. Buying empty bottles. Now that seems like a waste of money ;)

It's not that the bottles cost a lot it's that as you all know the start up is a lot. I just got all of my equipment and ingredients so I am just trying to save a little where I can. I have saved a little more than a case of good bottles. But I also have two cases of twisties.

Why not go back to the bar and request some used Sam Adams bottles?
Those are pry off cap bottles and I use them exclusively. They work great and they are brown.

After working in several different bars and restaurants, personally I would not use them just due to the mystery of what may be or what may have been in them previously. I've seen enough horrible things that I'll gladly just buy a case of bottles when I need.

Why not go back to the bar and request some used Sam Adams bottles?
Those are pry off cap bottles and I use them exclusively. They work great and they are brown.

If you're just bottling for personal use, yes, but note that you can't use them for most homebrew competitions, as the rules usually stipulate that the bottles be free of labels and any embossing. Sam Adams bottles have the logo embossed right into the glass, IIRC.

I thought I had a great idea to save money, I went to a local bar and got used bottles for free. Then I realized that they are all twist off's so they may not work. So my next great idea is can I use these twist off bottles if I wax the caps on?

Better great idea: find a bar that serves craft beer in bottles that will give them to you.

Just as a heads-up, I bought a six of Corona thinking I could re-use the bottles. When I capped, the capper wouldn't let loose from the cap. Only bottle this has happened with.

Find the thread on here for your local home state area and just ask for some bottles...seriously. And not bottles from bars, I'm talking about a fresh new bottle from a homebrew store. Once people see all the stuff you're trying to do with getting bottles from bars and such, they'll just give you some bottles. Hell, they'll probably spot you 13 bucks to buy a 24 pack of new bottles, I know I would.

It's just not a good look serving your quality homebrew in a bottle you got from some bar, where you have no idea who did what to it, before it landed in your hands! And when you add in the time, energy and effort to find, pick-up, de-label, clean and sanitize those bottles, I just can't see how it's worth it...

Find the thread on here for your local home state area and just ask for some bottles...seriously. And not bottles from bars, I'm talking about a fresh new bottle from a homebrew store. Once people see all the stuff you're trying to do with getting bottles from bars and such, they'll just give you some bottles. Hell, they'll probably spot you 13 bucks to buy a 24 pack of new bottles, I know I would.

It's just not a good look serving your quality homebrew in a bottle you got from some bar, where you have no idea who did what to it, before it landed in your hands! And when you add in the time, energy and effort to find, pick-up, de-label, clean and sanitize those bottles, I just can't see how it's worth it...

Where do I find area specific threads? I'm from Sacramento Ca

Where do I find area specific threads? I'm from Sacramento Ca

Also, to clear things up wax will do absolutely nothing to withstand the pressure. Even on pro bottle releases it is mostly for looks. Adding it to a twist off cap is very similar to doing it with masking tape.

It does look nice though!

Latest posts

Back