Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > So i bought some pin lock kegs today. Full ones.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default So i bought some pin lock kegs today. Full ones.

Found a rube selling pin lock kegs for $10/ea. He had 13 of them. I had dreams of loading up my tiny car with them and reconditioning them for fun and profit.

But it turns out they have more than a little syrup in them. They are in fact completely full, with syrup from 2008. My guess is that they were leftovers from an event that Coke ultimately didn't care to get back. The tags indicate that they were filled at a production center that is no longer in operation.

I'm a n00b but not completely ignorant. So, bear with me.

I ended up buying four of them.

All four have some hardened syrup leaking out of the liquid posts. At least one of them has some hardened syrup around the gas post as well.

These are not my first pin lock kegs. I have a modified socket to remove the posts with, and the little plastic pressure release tool, but, I am afraid.

Were these things shipped under pressure and the leaked syrup is just the result of failed poppets? Or maybe they were just stored in a hot shed and heat expansion caused this.

i bet if i leave these in a hot shower for a while i may soften the gunk in the posts enough to release pressure and open the lids. Which i probably want to do outside, while wearing clothes i don't care about, and not near the house.

I expect that the product contained within is no longer really ideal to drink.

I asked a certified hazmat manager what to do with the stuff and she suggested a landfill. Then clarified that she means decanting it into disposable vessels and putting it out with the trash. Or just digging a big hole and dumping it in. When i casually stated offhand that pouring the stuff down the toilet nearest the sewer line in my basement sounds like the sort of thing a business would get in trouble for, but a private individual might get away with, she countered that stupidity doesn't make you innocent, and that water treatment facilities frown on that sort of thing. An excess of sugar interfering with the bacteria and whatnot that eat poop, etc.

Doesn't mean i might not still pour it down the drain.

A friend recommended a solution that involved turbo yeast and a length of copper tubing, but i bet there are preservatives present that would interfere with fermentation.

Any advice? at all?

Last edited by TimpanogosSlim; 03-20-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

dump the gunk, replace the posts and clean the hell out of it

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Find your dumbest friend, get him drunk, and then bet him a dollar he can't drink a keg of syrup.

Failing that, pour it in a pool and host a wrestling match.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester5120 View Post
dump the gunk, replace the posts and clean the hell out of it
Why replace 'em? Or did you mean replace the poppets?

There's nothing really wrong with pin lock disconnects, and i've found that my ultrasonic cleaner will get those parts super-duper clean with just a little oxyclean and dawn in hot water.

At the moment I have 9 pin lock kegs and 2 ball lock.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

I can't believe that someone certified in HAZMAT would reccomend dumping in a hole and frown on dumping down the drain. It might actually be hazardous waste due to low pH. You can use coke to strip floors. But, since it is household generated waste, it is exempt from regulation, so you can pretty much do what you want with it. I would reccommend trying to find a local municipal recycling facility that accepts household hazardous waste and ask them what to do with it. There's a place here in town where I drop off used motor oil, old paint, pesticides, stuff like that. If there isn't anyplace like that in your area, I would say the drain would be your best bet. At least that way it will be treated at the wastewater facility instead of going directly to a landfill or into the ground water if you dump it in a hole.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
I can't believe that someone certified in HAZMAT would reccomend dumping in a hole and frown on dumping down the drain. It might actually be hazardous waste due to low pH. You can use coke to strip floors. But, since it is household generated waste, it is exempt from regulation, so you can pretty much do what you want with it. I would reccommend trying to find a local municipal recycling facility that accepts household hazardous waste and ask them what to do with it. There's a place here in town where I drop off used motor oil, old paint, pesticides, stuff like that. If there isn't anyplace like that in your area, I would say the drain would be your best bet. At least that way it will be treated at the wastewater facility instead of going directly to a landfill or into the ground water if you dump it in a hole.
*shrug* she's the CHMM, not me.

Granted, i don't think she's looked at cola syrup as a waste profile before. Most of her experience is industrial in nature, but she does have a current certification.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
Skrufbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why not call coke customer service ask them what to do with it. I remember watching a Sam Adams comercial, about Jim buying back old stale product. I wounder if somthing like this would count.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #8
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

I'm really more curious about what to expect when i try to open these.

Are they likely to be under pressure? all the posts have the little green caps that i'm pretty sure indicate that they have not been used since they were filled.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

I doubt they stored them under very much pressure as the syrup doesn't need to be carbonated. But, that doesn't mean that they aren't pressurized for whatever reason. Like you said before, just hit a poppet outside, away from the house and see what happens. Not much else you can do.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I bought 20 filled with syrup. I dumped them in the yard and the rain took it all away.

Quick Reply