New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > So How Does The Blichman Beer Gun Work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
BVilleggiante
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default So How Does The Blichman Beer Gun Work?

I've always either kegged by beer or bottled it traditionally and waited for it to carb. over a three week period or so. Recently, I poured an irish red out of my keg and into two bottles for a friend to try later that day. Later that day when I went to open the bottles, the beer was completely flat. Not a huge surprise since I was just using a tap, but my question is, how is the Blichman beer gun different? How does the Blichman beer gun allow the beer to come out of the keg, into the bottle, and stay carbonated for drinking immediately?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

How did you pour it from the kegs into the bottles? Just out of the tap? If the beer wasn't fully carbonated or something, that could be the issue. But having them be flat wouldn't be remedied by having the Beergun.

The Beergun is like a bottle filler, using the CO2 from the kegerator to push the beer into the bottles, from the bottom up, much like a bottling wand from a bottling bucket.

The huge advantage I've found from the Beergun is the ability to purge the bottles with CO2 prior to filling them. I personally think the beer keeps much better with this option, but others don't seem to find the benefit.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This isn't an exact reply to how the beer gun works, but I may have a solution much cheaper than a beer gun. After you sanitize your bottles out them in the freezer and chill them down idk how this works but it does. Get a beverage tube the will snugly fit into the mouth of your tap and it needs to be long enough to fill your bottle from the bottom. Turn your serving pressure down so it just trickles out of the tap to avoid foam. When you fill the bottle fill it will less than an inch of headspace and cap them individually as you fill them. I have had them stay carved longer that 2 weeks this way. Put them in the fridge or a cooler when you finish filling them.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

To help you to understand how the Beer Gun works...

You connect up the Beer Gun (after putting together as the instructions outline) to the keg using the liquid post. You'll want the keg on <15 psi (10psi works well for me, with 10' of beer line going to the gun). You also connect the gun up to another CO2 feed so that you can purge the chilled, sanitized, bottles. You use the stud trigger on the handle to purge the bottle, then with the working end of the gun at the lowest point in the bottle, you pull the main trigger to start the beer flowing. You'll want to get the tip under the brew as fast as possible and not let go of the trigger until the bottle is filled. Go until the beer is level with the top, or you overflow the foam. Remove the gun and the space it took up helps to bring the beer level down to where it's perfect to maintain carbonation. Cover/cap the bottle and then go on to the next one.

The main trick with the beer gun, or any good tap/keg bottling system is the hose ID that delivers the brew. Another is filling from the bottom so that carbonation remains in the brew. Another is chilling the bottles to the same temp as the brew going into them (to keep foaming to a minimum).

Doing all that, you should be able to bottle from keg and maintain the carbonation in the bottles for more than long enough.

That help you out any??

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have noticed filling bottles using the BMBF (BierMunchers Bottle Filler) that they are a bit flat for a couple of days then get better. I think some of the CO2 comes out of solution and pressurizes the headspace in the bottle, then is gradually reabsorbed into the beer. Your beer might not have been so flat if you had just waited a few days.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
BVilleggiante
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Fantastic post! Thank you for taking the time to write that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post

You connect up the Beer Gun (after putting together as the instructions outline) to the keg using the liquid post. You'll want the keg on <15 psi (10psi works well for me, with 10' of beer line going to the gun). You also connect the gun up to another CO2 feed so that you can purge the chilled, sanitized, bottles. You use the stud trigger on the handle to purge the bottle, then with the working end of the gun at the lowest point in the bottle, you pull the main trigger to start the beer flowing. You'll want to get the tip under the brew as fast as possible and not let go of the trigger until the bottle is filled. Go until the beer is level with the top, or you overflow the foam. Remove the gun and the space it took up helps to bring the beer level down to where it's perfect to maintain carbonation. Cover/cap the bottle and then go on to the next one.

The main trick with the beer gun, or any good tap/keg bottling system is the hose ID that delivers the brew. Another is filling from the bottom so that carbonation remains in the brew. Another is chilling the bottles to the same temp as the brew going into them (to keep foaming to a minimum).

Doing all that, you should be able to bottle from keg and maintain the carbonation in the bottles for more than long enough.

That help you out any??

Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
cristal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post

That help you out any??
Thank you very much!!!...I would like to transfer my beer from keg to botles, I have read about Blichmann Beer Gun and several opinions about home made filing systems ...Your post have helped me to take a decision....I will try the Beer Gun and I will report our results...

Quick Reply