Smaller bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be making a few barley wines and a high gravity mega barley wine in the upcoming months and I'd like to use smaller bottles.

Imagine what it would be like if someone handed you a 12 ounce glass of premium Scotch for the first time and they said it was delicious. Your impression would be that it is a drink to be chugged, so chug you would. You'd take a big sip and gag and you'd probably not touch another glass of scotch again. On the other hand, if someone hands you a small snifter, then on some level you get the picture that this isn't something to be chugged.

I feel that higher gravity beers would actually be better served in smaller bottles. I'm actually envisioning those little 8 ounce coke glasses, only in brown. I mean, really, 22 ounces of 20% barley wine? That's not a drink, that's a full night of drinking in a single bottle!

So does anybody have a source for smaller bottles?

In the alternative, how bad would it be after aging, to store beer in a liqueur type bottle and just pour yourself a snifter once every few days over the course of a week or two? Would a 20% beer hold up to that type of treatment? What do you think?

In Aruba the beers come in small bottles, I think 7 oz or 8 oz, sound like they'd be perfect if you could get hold of a few cases of them. In particular the Amstel comes in small brown bottles with non-twist-off caps. Might be able to source them here in US, probably somewhere hot/beach - distributor could probably get them.

Here are some six ounce bottles on Morebeer. A little smaller than you're looking for, but they should work.

3950.jpg

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15623

Have fun filling a hundred bottles, though!

I've seen small, cap-able bottles like this, clear ones, on other sites, and my HBS sells them. I'd hate to see what the shipping would be on a couple cases.

:off: It is a personal pet peeve of mine when REALLY big beers come in huge bottles, like, a champagne bottle of a 10% barleywine. I can't drink that much in one sitting, hell, I don't WANT that much of something that big. Alright, I can share it when buddies come over, but I'd rather be able to buy a really big beer in a small bottle.

Hair of the Dog sells their big beers in HUGE bottles (Jeroboams, I believe). People buy them, but I can only wonder when they open one. I like the brews, but they are sipping beers.

In the local grocery store I always see San Pellegrino Limonata that comes in 200ml pop top bottles.. they are usually clear but it might be worth a try.. that is about 7 oz so close to what you were thinking... and heck.. the Limonata might actually be good too!

SpamDog

SpamDog said:
In the local grocery store I always see San Pellegrino Limonata that comes in 200ml pop top bottles.. they are usually clear but it might be worth a try.. that is about 7 oz so close to what you were thinking... and heck.. the Limonata might actually be good too!

SpamDog

I bought a crapload of those to use. Pretty tasty soda, and I wanted the small bottles.

:mad: They won't take a normal cap, or at least they won't work with my capper. I had probably accumulated twenty-five or thirty of them, none of them took a cap. I had already filled them... :mad: :mad:

Every one of them, I could pry the cap off with my thumb. Not going to seal like that! I'm sure they can be made to work (probably if you have a bench capper), but my regular wing capper couldn't handle them.

Thanks for the update, bird. Sorry you had to go through that, but better you now than me later. ;)

As for 7oz corona bottles, that sounds good, especially since cinco de mayo is coming up. I can unload them on all my friends.... and as best I can recall, corona is still a true pop top. I'll take a look at those and if I can't find them, I'll try the more beer ones. Either way, I figure the beers will be cellar aging in paper bags or cardboard boxes to keep all the light out that I can.

Back