The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Small kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
Bibbly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Small kegs

Anyone know of a 5 litre legging system?? The kegs are all too big and I want to mechanically carbonate so the small draft systems won't work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbly View Post
Anyone know of a 5 litre legging system?? The kegs are all too big and I want to mechanically carbonate so the small draft systems won't work.
Legging system?? No. Kegging system, perhaps. You can easily order 2.5-3.0 gallon kegs (different suppliers have at least the 2.5 gallon, some have the smaller). William's Brewing offers as small as a 1.75 gallon keg. Personally, I'd rather get the Italian made kegs (2.5 or 3 gallon size) or your standard corny kegs (used, or new Italian made). I have my brew fridge set up to work with up to four 2.5-3 gallon corny kegs. Works really well, and without issue.

I have seen posts by people who have modified the crappy 5L kegs to use standard gas fittings. Not sure about the liquid side though. I wouldn't bother with doing that. Sort of like putting lipstick onto a pig, IMO. I did [briefly] use the 5L mini-kegs early on when I started brewing. Put part of two batches into them and then they sat in the closet. IME, they were more pain than they were worth. Better off not spending the money on those, set it aside for getting a regular kegging setup (with kegs that hold pressure well) and move on.

BTW, I purchased my brew fridge brand new, for the express purpose of kegging in it. It's a 10 cubic foot Whirlpool fridge (freezer on top, which holds my hops). They tried to sell me the extended warranty on it, until I asked if it would cover it once I put holes in the side for CO2 lines, and in the door for taps. That stopped saleswoman up pretty fast on that part. It's been working great since I set it up. Especially since I don't need an external temperature controller (adjusted the fridge temperature dial to be good for beer, and set the freezer to max for the hops).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply