Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > small fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
mot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default small fridge

I have a small kenmore fridge that would be enough to fit two kegs in it. I dont know much about kegging and making a kegerator. This small fridge has one of the cheapy small freezer trays on top. Is it possible to make a kegerator out of these or if they have the freezer on top will they not work???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2007, 01:27 AM   #2
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

It will work if you can carefully bend the freezer tray down. Most people on this forum will only recomend this if it was a free/cheap fridge, the freon line is fragile and could be broken in the attempt-thus not a viable solution for an expensive fridge.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:12 AM   #3
mot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin' Lion
It will work if you can carefully bend the freezer tray down. Most people on this forum will only recomend this if it was a free/cheap fridge, the freon line is fragile and could be broken in the attempt-thus not a viable solution for an expensive fridge.

Good luck.
I can easily take it out, I just dont know about adding the tap and tower and such cutting into something or freezing the beer once I take it apart. Anyone ever try this to one of the small fridges

Old 07-31-2007, 03:46 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The freezer part on these fridges is the only source of cooling AFAIK, if you take it out...well...its shot.

I have a small kenmore as well. I use it for controlling fermentation temps, carboy fits in the there nicely...I hope one day to get a chest freezer and move onto kegging (I really hate bottling). I could probably get two kegs in there if I bent it down but don't want to risk loosing it as I need fermentation temp control for ales in the summer and for any future lagers.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
mot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
The freezer part on these fridges is the only source of cooling AFAIK, if you take it out...well...its shot.

I have a small kenmore as well. I use it for controlling fermentation temps, carboy fits in the there nicely...I hope one day to get a chest freezer and move onto kegging (I really hate bottling). I could probably get two kegs in there if I bent it down but don't want to risk loosing it as I need fermentation temp control for ales in the summer and for any future lagers.

i dont thinkk i have to take it out just the shelves i think I havent inspected it really close just didnt know if they work for a keggerato or not. I might just be using it to do lagers instead

Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 AM   #6
SoCalBrewing

Recipes 

I have seen what you are talking about. Basically the Freon line is directly on top, and there is a small closed bin (aka the freezer portion) directly underneath it that gets the brunt of the cooling. Yes if it doesnt interfere with the coolant lines, then by all means take it out. However you are gonna have a hell of a time knowing where to cut for a tap tower unless you go through the door.

On Deck- NorTor Black, 10 gallon batch of Agent Orange

Primary 1-Long Beach Berry Wine
Primary 2-Empty
Secondary 1-Empty
Secondary 2-Empty
Secondary 3-Empty
Secondary 4-Empty

Keg 1-Imperial Stout
Keg 2-Edworts Apfelwein

Past Beers-Agent Orange (A keeper); Hefeweizen (You wont be missed), Agent Orange II

Quick Reply