The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Slow Tap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
Robizzle01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slow Tap

I just got my 3 keg system, filled my co2 tank, hooked everything up, went to dispense my beer and ... weak stream

My dual gauge regulator shows 800psi in the tank with 10psi set on the output. I verified that the keg's IN and OUT fittings are correctly installed and have tried to dispense beer from two different kegs without much success. The beer flows very slowly out of my picnic tap.

Every time I lift the gas relief valve on either keg, I can hear and feel a gust of co2 at first, then it comes out more slowly until I leave it closed for a second. I have also put my ear against all the fittings and don't hear any leaks anywhere.

I was also a little surprised how difficult it was to install the quick disconnect (both the gas and beer out lines.) I needed to pound them on with the handle of a wrench.

Any ideas what may be going wrong? Need more information, just let me know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My newbian guess would be that the poppets are screwed up.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robizzle01 View Post
I was also a little surprised how difficult it was to install the quick disconnect (both the gas and beer out lines.) I needed to pound them on with the handle of a wrench.
You need to get some food-grade lubricant. QD's should slide on VERY easily - You're lifting the "collar" on the QD when sliding it onto the poppit, correct?

If you don't have keg lubricant in the house, you can use mineral oil in a pinch. You should put some lubricant on all O-Rings every time you change a keg. Here's a link - I use "Petro Gel Lubricant"

Search Results

My guess that the flow is slow b/c the QD's aren't installed property. Are they leaking at all at the keg?

EDIT - Do you have the Gas QD on the "In" poppit and the beer QD on the "Out" poppit? The keg should have "In" and "Out" written just below the poppit. If not, the "Out" is the one with the dip tube extending to the bottom of the keg.

EDIT 2 - Just noticed that this is your first post. WELCOME!!

Last edited by Bopper; 03-18-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Also make sure that the valve is open on the regulator if you have one there. I made that mistake after days of frustration of slow pours.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 03-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Did you tear your kegs down and inspect them when you got them? You really need to check all your o-rings and the poppets. If everything looks OK, put it all back together, hit the keg with 30psi to seal it, and check for leaks. If you detect no leaks, put some water in the keg, attach a tap and test the pour.

You need to do that BEFORE filling the keg. It is much easier to replace a leaking o-ring when you are not worried about contaminating your beer.

I know, it's a little late now, but it's something to remember in the future.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chello View Post
Also make sure that the valve is open on the regulator if you have one there. I made that mistake after days of frustration of slow pours.
Good point. Make sure the CO2 canister valve is open all the way, then adjust pressure at the regulator down to serving pressure (8-12 psi). Since you have shorter beer lines, you probably want to go for about 8 psi to prevent too much foam.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
madewithchicken
Recipes 

My first time out with my kegs I clogged my keg with hops. I think I may have been dry hopping in keg but I am not sure.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
kirscp
Recipes 

I guess the main there here is what is slow. What are you comparing your pour to?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Robizzle01
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirscp View Post
I guess the main there here is what is slow. What are you comparing your pour to?
It is slow as in, probably would take about 60 seconds to fill a 12 oz glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
My newbian guess would be that the poppets are screwed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper359 View Post
You need to get some food-grade lubricant. QD's should slide on VERY easily - You're lifting the "collar" on the QD when sliding it onto the poppit, correct?
Good suggestions. I will definitely check out the poppets and pick up some food grade lubricant to see if that does the trick. I don't remember anything I would think of as a "collar" on the QD ... I'll have to investigate when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper359 View Post
EDIT - Do you have the Gas QD on the "In" poppit and the beer QD on the "Out" poppit? The keg should have "In" and "Out" written just below the poppit. If not, the "Out" is the one with the dip tube extending to the bottom of the keg.
I did verify that the IN and OUT are correct. IN is for CO2 and has a star shaped bottom with notches. OUT is for beer and doesn't have any notches and uses a standard looking hex nut to tighten on.) They are also in their correct location on the keg, where IN and OUT are stamped into the rubber and/or metal.

Edit: And thanks for the warm welcome. I had hoped to make my first post pictures of the new kegerator, but ran into these problems

Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Make sure the liquid out dip tube isn't turned so that the bottom of the tube is not jammed against the bottom of the keg. I know theres a little indentation in the top of the dip tube, but I have a couple that are loose enough to turn almost 180°. Check them when you assesble the keg.

Also, is the fridge too cold? I had a keg go slow. I thought it was the dip tube issue. Turns out the fridge got way too cold and froze the liquid in the keg!

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply