New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #81
ODP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I have room for a large one but I prefer to have several smaller ones. My reasoning is if I am doing a Lager I can just take out the kegs and turn it up to 58° . Then I can even do the rest in it by just turning it off and opening it up and then lager at 36° until its ready to serve. All the while still having 3 or 4 beers on tap .
I did forget to mention that while I have a smaller chest freezer for kegging in the house, I do have a fridge for fermentation only in the store room- so having a chest freezer large enough to keg AND ferment in would just be too much

I like my women like I like my beer- BIG and DARK!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #82
Patster
Recipes 

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 9 foot Frigidaire from Lowes. They'll drop it off tonight.

I also have an old, small chest freezer (~5 foot) that serves as my fermenter. I am hoping I can fit two cornies in there, but worried that it'll only fit one without a collar. I'm an ex Mr Beer guy, and I could easily fit 4 batches in there, two in the minikegs and two in bottles. I finally upgraded this weekend and bought a 5 gal kit. Now I just need the keg system and I'll be all set!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #83
ODP
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice! Congrats on the purchase...you need to post pics in the kegerator thread when you get it up and running!

I like my women like I like my beer- BIG and DARK!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #84
BillKlineVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Get the Holiday 7.0 cubic foot from Home Depot for $198.00 regular price, it holds 4 5 gal corny kegs plus a 5# CO2 tank, no collar, no waiting for sales!
Did you actually fit 4 kegs into it? I just went to look at Lowes and brought along some cardboard circles at 8.5" diameter. I could only get 3 to fit, and 4 with like a 1/8" overlap. Any pics of them fitting the Holiday 7.0? I'm considering this or the Frigidaire 9.0 that is also at Lowes for $278

Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #85
Snausages01
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Craigslist is nice, but you can get some pretty good deals at the stores when they run sales. Keep any eye out at Lowes, they had a pretty good sales on energy star stuff a few weeks ago. I got the 14.8 cubic foot Frigidaire for $340 with tax included. ( http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=8899-2251-LFFN15M5HW&lpage=none ) I wasn't really planning on buying one at the time, but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

Currently I am using a Ranco controller and using it for fermentation.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #86
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patster View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on the 9 foot Frigidaire from Lowes. They'll drop it off tonight.

I also have an old, small chest freezer (~5 foot) that serves as my fermenter. I am hoping I can fit two cornies in there, but worried that it'll only fit one without a collar. I'm an ex Mr Beer guy, and I could easily fit 4 batches in there, two in the minikegs and two in bottles. I finally upgraded this weekend and bought a 5 gal kit. Now I just need the keg system and I'll be all set!
If its like the one I have then two will fit in it I put the collar on to fit one on the hump. I bought it at Home depot its a 5 cf whirlpool but I think they just rebadge them. See post 77 in this thread.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #87
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the holiday 7 cu ft does fit 4 kegs.

only the taller thinner ball locks though, I tried 3 ball locks and a pin, no luck. has to be 4 ball locks

Old 10-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #88
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patster View Post
Anybody have the 9 cubic ft from Frigidaire? It is currently $278 according to Lowes online, with free delivery (Item #: 90724 Model: LFFC09M5HW). At $70 more than the 7 cu.ft. ones from GE/Holiday, it looks like it would be worth the extra $.

By the way, how do you folks get those big freezers home when you find them on CL? Do you all just happen to have pick-up trucks? Free delivery on a new freezer sounds pretty appealing to me for that reason, but maybe I'm missing something.
I have it. It fits 4 corny kegs with no collar. Put a collar on it and you can put some on the hump as well. Also it fits 3 better bottles (barely) if you dont put airlocks (I use foil).

Old 10-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #89
scopey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
the holiday 7 cu ft does fit 4 kegs.

only the taller thinner ball locks though, I tried 3 ball locks and a pin, no luck. has to be 4 ball locks
Is that "fit 4 kegs" in the main area, without anything on the compressor hump? Just curious...

Old 10-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #90
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes sir. 4 ball locks. ver yvery very tight fit. not on the compressor. with the compressor hump and a collar I'd say 5.

Quick Reply