Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #71
doug1395
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Im new to brewing beer so this might be dumb but are you guys just turning the temp down in the freezers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #72
ODP
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's what I've (and most around here) use:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=1214

You install the sensor in the freezer, plug the freezer into the thermostat, plug the thermostat into the wall, set your temp and you're done! Hope this helps...

Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #73
RiverRat280
Recipes 

I bought the Frigidaire 7cu ft freezer from lowes also. Will a 2x8 be a large enough collar then to fit cornys on the compressor hump? By the other post it sounds like thats all I need, does anyone know for sure that its true?

Old 09-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #74
doug1395
Recipes 

Every one keeps talking about the size of these freezers, I dont understand why not buy a bigger one off creigs list and be done,also is there any models from hd or lowes that you do not need a senser for and you can just turn up to 35 degrees or so. Thanks for the help !

Old 09-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #75
ODP
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1395 View Post
Every one keeps talking about the size of these freezers, I dont understand why not buy a bigger one off creigs list and be done
You've got to remember that alot of people don't have room for a 19 cu ft chest freezer- I myself live in a 1 bedroom 800sq ft house w/ no garage- my space constraints are pretty strict so I've got to fit the most I can in the smallest package, you know? I don't mind because I don't need 12 taps at once! 4 is cool with me...

I like my women like I like my beer- BIG and DARK!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:42 AM   #76
Patster
Recipes 

Anybody have the 9 cubic ft from Frigidaire? It is currently $278 according to Lowes online, with free delivery (Item #: 90724 Model: LFFC09M5HW). At $70 more than the 7 cu.ft. ones from GE/Holiday, it looks like it would be worth the extra $.

By the way, how do you folks get those big freezers home when you find them on CL? Do you all just happen to have pick-up trucks? Free delivery on a new freezer sounds pretty appealing to me for that reason, but maybe I'm missing something.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #77
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Im new to brewing beer so this might be dumb but are you guys just turning the temp down in the freezers
I use a love controller I like that I can see the temp inside . not done yet I plane to paint it black and add Stainless sheeting to the collar

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #78
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Every one keeps talking about the size of these freezers, I dont understand why not buy a bigger one off creigs list and be done,also is there any models from hd or lowes that you do not need a senser for and you can just turn up to 35 degrees or so. Thanks for the help !
I have room for a large one but I prefer to have several smaller ones. My reasoning is if I am doing a Lager I can just take out the kegs and turn it up to 58° . Then I can even do the rest in it by just turning it off and opening it up and then lager at 36° until its ready to serve. All the while still having 3 or 4 beers on tap .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #79
Whut
Mmmmm, beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1643 Times on 1539 Posts
Likes Given: 8576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patster View Post
Anybody have the 9 cubic ft from Frigidaire? It is currently $278 according to Lowes online, with free delivery (Item #: 90724 Model: LFFC09M5HW). At $70 more than the 7 cu.ft. ones from GE/Holiday, it looks like it would be worth the extra $.

By the way, how do you folks get those big freezers home when you find them on CL? Do you all just happen to have pick-up trucks? Free delivery on a new freezer sounds pretty appealing to me for that reason, but maybe I'm missing something.
Yup, I've got two of them and they fit in the back of my Tahoe (one at a time of course). Also they're not that heavy - just a little bulky but I was able to unload both of them myself. Once you get them out of the box they're very easy to move around.

I went with two so I can ferment in one and condition / cold storage in the other (amoung other things).

Get off my lawn! - shecky
Shut up, old man!- Sharona

Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 AM   #80
doug1395
Recipes 

The last to posts makes good sense to me thanks

Quick Reply