Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #741
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 601 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
Been reading, but am somewhat confused. In the original posts by Ed he indicated one 5 cu. footer would hold three ball locks and a 20# co2 bottle I THOUGHT? Is there such an animal?
The Danby does. Check the link in my sig.

The Igloo might as well, but I haven't drawn it up yet. Keep getting side-tracked.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #742
Steven4est
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BeerSpeer View Post
I bought a Johnson temp controller from northern brewer...works great...my keezer is the 19.8 Kenmore elite which I need to get specs posted to this thread for.
How exactly does that work? Do you have to wire it in to your freezer wiring? Or it just dangles inside the freezer and adjust your freezer accordingly ?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #743
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

External temp controllers work by plugging the controller into the outlet, and plugging your freezer or fridge's power cord into the controller. The controller has it's own temperature probe which goes into your freezer. You set the temperature at which you want the freezer to hold at, turn the freezer to it's max cooling setting, and the controller will turn on and off the freezer as needed to maintain the temperature you set. They're very necessary if you are turning a freezer into a keezer. I have the simple analog Johnson and it works great for my keezer. I use an STC-1000 (ebay temp controller bought from Amazon ) for my ferm chamber.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #744
Khudfly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pale Horse View Post
I haven't started kegging yet, but I have a "dorm fridge" that I was thinking about converting into a kegerator, so I was wondering what the diameter of your circles are considering I don't have corny kegs yet? That way I can get an idea on whether or not I want to convert the fridge

TIA
Corny kegs are approx 9" in dia and 23" tall.
Check out the following link:
http://www.micromatic.com/beer-quest...le-aid-11.html
Most dorm fridge with the hump in back will only accept one corny without modifying. Search for setup's here on HBT.com.
Lots of info...just look for it.

Prost!

oops...I need to look at the date on the post before I reply...sooorrryyy!

Benjamin Franklin

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"There can’t be good living where there is not good drinking."

Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #745
Dolomieu

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I just have to say i am pretty grateful for this and many other threads on this site.

I have a Frigidaire 7cuft freezer and i can get 6 ball lock kegs in it with my 2x8 (or 2x10) collar. I only have three taps, so it gives me storage space for my replacement kegs. I can post pics if there is any interest.

Three sit staggered on the floor and three staggered on the hump. One of the ones on the hump is only mostly on the hump but the other kegs help keep it in place just fine. I have the collar hinged as well as the lid and moving things in and out is not an issue.

I followed the advice at the beginning of the thread and had circles cut out for the foot print of my kegs. The guy selling the freezer looked at me funny when i went to look at it.

Thanks for all the help guys

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #746
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolomieu View Post
I just have to say i am pretty grateful for this and many other threads on this site.

I have a Frigidaire 7cuft freezer and i can get 6 ball lock kegs in it with my 2x8 (or 2x10) collar. I only have three taps, so it gives me storage space for my replacement kegs. I can post pics if there is any interest.

Three sit staggered on the floor and three staggered on the hump. One of the ones on the hump is only mostly on the hump but the other kegs help keep it in place just fine. I have the collar hinged as well as the lid and moving things in and out is not an issue.

I followed the advice at the beginning of the thread and had circles cut out for the foot print of my kegs. The guy selling the freezer looked at me funny when i went to look at it.

I have the same freezer and I can squeeze 4 on the floor. If I had a big enough collar I would be able to put 2 more on the hump. I bet that third one on the hump is just on the hump a little bit. Might be more stable if you put 4 on the floor?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #747
Dolomieu

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
I have the same freezer and I can squeeze 4 on the floor. If I had a big enough collar I would be able to put 2 more on the hump. I bet that third one on the hump is just on the hump a little bit. Might be more stable if you put 4 on the floor?
I'm really not too worried about the one that is not all the way on the hump. It really has nowhere to go.

Though now i kinda have to go back and see if i can get four on the floor. the little extra space might come in handy.

Thanks for the info/challenge

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Old 02-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #748
ArtimusBeerimus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Found a Kenmore on CL and have the OD and ID (the guys doesn't know the cubic ft) and the model # he gave me is useless search-wise.

1) If I have the inner dimensions in inches, what's the best way to determine the cubic feet? Just cause...

2) Do any of you guys ever move your freezers for parties and whatnot? Should I even consider portability that when considering size? This one will be primarily stationed in my basement.

3) What's a reasonable height without a collar? The one I'm considering has an ID height of 29".

4) Finally, do any of you have any luck compartmentalizing your chest freezers, i.e., one side keezer temp, one side ferm temp?

TYIA!

Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #749
ChuckO

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtimusBeerimus View Post
Found a Kenmore on CL and have the OD and ID (the guys doesn't know the cubic ft) and the model # he gave me is useless search-wise.

1) If I have the inner dimensions in inches, what's the best way to determine the cubic feet? Just cause...

2) Do any of you guys ever move your freezers for parties and whatnot? Should I even consider portability that when considering size? This one will be primarily stationed in my basement.

3) What's a reasonable height without a collar? The one I'm considering has an ID height of 29".

4) Finally, do any of you have any luck compartmentalizing your chest freezers, i.e., one side keezer temp, one side ferm temp?

TYIA!
1) Length (in.) * Width (in.) * Height (in.) / 1728 = cu. ft.

2) I don't, for a number of reasons.
A) It's easier to take a growler or make a jockey box.
B) Can't plug it in for a few hours after tipping it on it's back or side.
C) Every time you move a freezer you run a risk (very slight) of damaging a coil.
D) Moving full cornies disturbs the sediment.

3) Mine is 34" as delivered. I added a 6" collar and put it on a dolly that makes it 43" overall.

4) With coils all around the sides of the freezer it wouldn't be too easy to keep part of it at ale fermentation temperatures and the rest at beer serving temperatures.

What ever you end up doing, think it through before starting, it's better than doing it again to correct problems.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #750
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 601 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolomieu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
I'm very interested in this model you two have. I've never seen a 7 cf model fit 6 kegs, save one model that's no longer in production. Can you post the measurements to the thread in my sig? I'd love to add it and draw it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
1) Length (in.) * Width (in.) * Height (in.) / 1728 = cu. ft.
Or check the specs in my sig thread for comparison.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Quick Reply