Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 04:37 AM   #471
GoldenShowerGladiator
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I suppose I'll need:

- 3 Perlick faucets
- 3 ball lock kegs
- temperature regulator
- c02 tank

What else? I'm obviously prepared

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #472
chumpsteak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I would suggest some beer line, gas lines, and some clamps or something to attach them. Also, I just tweaked my thermostat and my keezer can be adjusted from about 32 to 42 degrees now.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #473
GoldenShowerGladiator
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was hoping to lager in these. What temp do people normally do that at?

Old 11-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #474
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
To all that recently bought the HD GE 7.0cu ft. Walmart had this on sale for $159 for their Black Friday sale and Home Depot's website shows they have priced matched it. So, it's available for $159 including free shipping. If you've ordered it at a higher price you might be able to get HD to give you a price adjustment.

Ok, now for my question. I've ordered one as I'm tired of walking down to the basement with my beer glass in hand and want to build a keezer in the kitchen using this model. What I could use is some guidance as to:

1. Building a collar - plans/idea's. My main purpose for the collar would simply be to use for faucet(s).

2. I have a single stage analog controller I use for fermentation control. I'm likely to use it for this keezer, but would then like to get myself a controller that allows both cooling and heating as my basement gets cold (right now it is about 60 degrees) so I need a dual stage model. Recommendations please.

Thanks.
1. Collar can be made any number of ways. IMO cheapest and easiest is some white wood from HD or Lowes, some foam board insulation, 2 tubes of liquid nails, and a tube of silicone caulk. Unhinge the freezer top and measure out the top of the freezer. Cut the wood and make the box. Attach the foam board to the wood and then glue the entire thing to the freezer with liquid nails. Use silicone to seal the seams. After 24 hours, connect the hinges to the collar and put on lid like normal. Drill holes for shanks, install, and that's it. You can add a hole if you need a temp probe or other things to go it.

2. Here is the thread for the cheapest dual-thermometer. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-build-163849/

Purchased off ebay for 19.99 or 22.99, make sure you buy the 110V model! Then use this as your heater, works great and costs 6 bucks. Wort-O-Matic: Fermentation Can Heater

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 11-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #475
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenShowerGladiator View Post
I suppose I'll need:

- 3 Perlick faucets
- 3 ball lock kegs
- temperature regulator
- c02 tank

What else? I'm obviously prepared
Start at the CO2 tank and work towards your glass!

CO2 tank, regulator, CO2 hose from regulator to manifold (optional). CO2 hose to each keg. MFL disconnects or some connection system for CO2 line to keg. MFL beverage line connection, beverage line from keg to shank. Connection between beer line and shank (nut, washer, and nipple). Shank, faucet, drip tray.

Most gas lines are 5/16, beverage lines are 1/4. A good place to look at an entire system in pictures is kegconnection, you can see a whole kit and make sure you've got all the parts.

Use this calculator to figure out how much beer line you need. Remember the measurement is from the middle point of the inside of your keg to the height of the faucet, not the top of the keg to the faucet.

Getting A Good Pour – Kegged Beer CO2 Line Length and Pressure | Brewer's Friend

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 11-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #476
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenShowerGladiator View Post
I was hoping to lager in these. What temp do people normally do that at?
Depends. 45-35 degrees?

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #477
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thanks for the tips! Since it will be a while until it gets delivered, I might try to get these done before it arrives. (I can always to hd to mashed the lid dimensions.)

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 11-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #478
BoundForBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlieNH View Post
7.0 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White-FCM7SUWW at The Home Depot

I think I have talked SWMBO into getting this for me for an early Christmas gift. I just checked it out at the local store and it looks like the offer is good until 11/28. Free shipping.

If anyone knows of a HomeDepot 10% off coupon code, please let me know.
Does anyone know if this deal is only online or can you pick it up in store? I ask because it says internet special on the web site....so my tiny brain tells me its only good online. although someone mentioned a cashier tryin to enter a coupon code for this item. If you know please fill me in as I think my brain is starting to smoke with not being able to figure this out.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #479
Eisendrath
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

when you buy something this size online they ship it to the store for you to pickup.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #480
GoldenShowerGladiator
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I bought it at my local Home Depot yesterday. They had it for $169. I told them it was cheaper on their own website. They confirmed it and price matched without question. I threw it in the back of my truck and now it's in the garage

Quick Reply